SCATT and Microsoft Windows Vista

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

PaulT

SCATT and Microsoft Windows Vista

Post by PaulT »

I understand from our UK SCATT importer/dealer, this is not in the pipeline, however, in the short term, has anybody successfully used a virtual Windows 2000 or Windows XP environment under Vista to get this working – that’s both viewing files and recording?

From a cost perspective, this sounds an insane concept, however:

1. New hardware shall become increasingly harder to obtain with an older operating systems AND the device drivers to support it. For example, who has Windows 98 drivers for the latest Latitude laptop – thought not!

2. To think Vista will not receive the take-up, interesting argument, the only flaw is that SCATT will not run under Linux or MAC either.

If anybody has the playback under Vista working, would also appreciate info.

Onybody know Vista, Linux or MAC Operating System coverage for other Electronic Trainers?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Scatt works fine in XP.

Will know about Vista here shortly.

Steve Swartz
funtoz

Rika on Linux

Post by funtoz »

I do not know what Vista has broken as far as legacy apps go, nor have I used Microsoft's virtualization scheme. If you have trouble with Vista and their virtualization, try VMware server. Currently free to download. I have Rika running on a W98 machine hosted by Suse Linux. It works just fine.

Too bad the trainer manufacturers can't put a little more effort into their products.

Too bad more of us don't buy a trainer so thay can afford to do more development.

Larry
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Hi Paul,

I know that Rika and the USB version of SCATT will run satisfactorily on XP. I have also seen RIKA running OK with a USB/Serial converter. However I am aware of problems getting the older serial version of Scatt to run on USB only machines that are running XP.

I would be interested in any experience of running Rika on Vista.

Rutty
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rutty wrote:However I am aware of problems getting the older serial version of Scatt to run on USB only machines that are running XP.
It depends which serial Scatt you are using. If it one of the black plastic cased ones then there is no problem providing that you get a suiatable adaptor. Not all USB-Serial adaptors work, Belkin ones seem to be problematic. Here in the UK the basic adaptor sold by Maplin seems to work fine. I have recommended it to many people without any reports of problems (including PaulT).

If you are talking about one of the very old grey metal cased 16 bit serial Scatts then yes, you could have a problem.
Rick Briggs

Rika

Post by Rick Briggs »

A Keyspan USB to serial adapter works fine with my Rika and XP Pro.