local laws

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Kevin

local laws

Post by Kevin »

I am just getting into the hobby. I have an Izzy and a P1. I live in unincorporated Orange Co., FL. Am I good to practice in my back yard? The IZH is very quiet, so I don't think that there would be a noise complaint.
Best regards,
Kevin
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

The noise is not going to be a problem---but, the gun can be heard and this will bring hysterical neighbors who will start screaming "we have a murderer living on the block." You also might do yourself a favor and find the PD policy on discharge of a firearm. Police only will recognize "it is a gun" therefore you are a dangerous man. Seems ridiculous huh! But thats the facts my friend.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would suggest you find out the full laws in your state regarding airguns. As I understand it laws vary from state to state so you may well find the airguns are not classified as firearms where you are. In the UK our laws are quite plain and we can shoot airguns in our gardens (your yards) with no problem, providing the pellet doesn't leave our property.

You may find your governing body can give you more detailed guidance.

Rob.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

and if it is legal, then depending on how close your neighbours are, you might want to tell them what you're doing, so they know you're practicing target shooting and don't think you're going on the rampage/call the police...
Tom A

Post by Tom A »

If you call and ask the local police department, you may not get an accurate answer. The knee-jerk reaction will probably be to tell you it's prohibited. If someone at the county police tells you it's illegal, ask (very politely) to see the statute which prohibits it.

Many areas have rules regarding the discharge of a firearm within so many feet or yards of an occupied building. Find out how "firearm" is defined. If it simply means something that fires a projectile you may be out of luck. (However, in that case ask them how a slingshot or a straw with spitballs or a child's dart-gun fits into that classification scheme.)
mikeschroeder

Re: local laws

Post by mikeschroeder »

Kevin wrote:I am just getting into the hobby. I have an Izzy and a P1. I live in unincorporated Orange Co., FL. Am I good to practice in my back yard? The IZH is very quiet, so I don't think that there would be a noise complaint.
Best regards,
Kevin
HI Kevin

Based on some of our local governments here in Kansas, you may want to mention that you intend to buy an air rifle, not that you HAVE an air rifle. In Park Ctiy Kansas, and Bel Aire Kansas, Air guns of any type and BB-Guns are illegal, apparently based on the idea that the second amendment applies to "firearms".

Mike
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Mike: You may want to investigate 15 USC 5001(g) with a local lawyer.

It prohibits states from regulating airguns, and I suspect local towns are state organizations (chartered).
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I'll ask in Bel Aire, I don't live there, but I can throw rocks from the house and they'll land there. They do have a city recreation center we could shoot in too. When we last asked, we were informed that BB-Guns and Air guns were illegal. Park City got into trouble years ago for confiscating everything anyone bought at the guns shows in the county building. They made an interesting requirement that you had to register your gun in that city, if the GUN was in the city. You couldn't leave the gun show without going through the city.... I do know that one went away.

Thanks for the quote.

Mike
rfwhatley

Be pro-active about it...

Post by rfwhatley »

Mike -
Agree with all the above, but you need to be pro-active. You're going to need to work on this one before the police knock on the door. Suggest you walk in and talk to the local police chief for a ruling, which you then can follow up with a lawyer if you disagree. Take the gun's sales pamphlet with you to help explain it's low power and not a "hunting weapon". The police dept is going to enforce (right or wrong) what the police chief says the law says.

Then contact all the neighbors and tell them what's going on and what the police have said about it. You might even invite them over to shoot with you. If more than one neighbor gets interested, then it's a "neighborhood group" not just you on your own. A much stronger position.

You might even sign up to be a shooting coach or Rifle Merit Badge councilor for a local Boy Scout troop or 4H program. It aways looks good to be working with youth when you're doing something that upsets a few of the neighbors.

Then order a .22 bullet trap (I got mine at the Bass Pro Shop) and place a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood behind the trap. You absolutely don't want any stray shots wandering over the fence. From there on your liability is going to be like having a pool in your back yard. Fence it in so no kids, pets, or lawyers can inadvertently wander into the line of fire.

I can tell you more about Scouts if you like.