Hand postion on stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan F.

Hand postion on stock

Post by Jordan F. »

Is it generally better to keep your left hand (asuming your right handed) in close to the trigger gaurd or is it better to move it out further - 6-8" up the forend? This is for the standing position.

And also, what could be some causes of horizontal stringing?
peepsight

Support hand position

Post by peepsight »

Hi

It all depends on where the rifle's C of G is. A general rule of thumb is to have the C of G some where between 2 and 5 cm in front of the support hands contact point on the fore end.

Current trends in Europe tend to have the C of G well back so the rifle is not too muzzle heavy. This ends up with your support hand very near the trigger guard and the C of G a few cm forward of this position.

Your vertical stringing may be due to your inner and outer positions not being fully established, or it could be just trigger control.

A coach is your best bet to answer this problem.
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

One thing I've noticed in the higher level of shooting is that the supporting arm is usually about in line with the back (left for a right handed shooter) leg.
Another thing you want to keep in mind is to minimize the muscles you use in the arm. You can't be using your bicep to hold the gun so the angle can't be too far down.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks for the help!
2650 Plus

Verticle stringing

Post by 2650 Plus »

Check your breathing technique. also the gun mounting to insure that its the same on every shot. Possible problem with cheek presure but that is easy to fix. I'm concerned about trying to provide advice because I would really have to observe your technique to be sure of any advice. Try to find a coach in whitch you have full confidence and ask for help. Good Shooting, Bill Horton
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Why on earth would you have the CoG of the rifle out in front of your support hand? Surely if it was inside the support hand, you'd be more stable? The rifle certainly feels more stable when it's set up that way!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Sparks, I am unable to fully answer your question but I do no that on some guns, the COG is quite far foward, especially on the heavy barreled guns. To hold it where or in front of where the center of gracity is would be quite uncomfortable. I believe on my feinwerkbau it is about 4 inches or so infront of the trigger guard. I hold it about there.

I imagine hook but plats or those butplates on air guns that are not hooked but not strait help as well.

BTW: Thanks everyone for the advice. I think it is just going to take time. I am gradually improving and I am finding my groups are more circular now instead of more high and low of the bull. Thanks!
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

Sparks,
The main reason to have more weight forward of the hand than behind is to increase the inertia of the front end of the gun. I assume you undestand the benefits of having a heavier rifle but if all the weight is added to the back, it doesnt help with slowing the wobble at all. The greater weight forward of the hand is just a happy medium between very little barrel weight (inertia) and using your trigger hand to hold the butt from rising out of your shoulder.