Field Target Recommendations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

superstring

Field Target Recommendations

Post by superstring »

Hi Folks

I wondering if I could get some recommendations for a Field Target rifle from those with some experience.

This would be my first air rifle (I currently own a Steyr LP5 pistol which I've been very pleased with) and I've been thinking about the Steyr LG110-FT or the Walther LG 300 Dominator. Opinions?

Thanks.
peepsight

Field target

Post by peepsight »

Although i am not a field target shooter i cannot help noticing that the sales of the Steyr LG-110 field target rifle seem to be way ahead of all the others.

Have you also considered the Air Arms EV-2 Its made in the UK and has a very high spec and is as good if not better than some German brands.

Peepsight
superstring

Post by superstring »

Thanks for the reply, peepsight. No I've not even heard of the Air Arms EV-2. I'll check it out.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

One place to start is looking at the gear that people shooting field target typically use -- http://www.aafta.org is the URL for the American FT.

A short answer to your question is impossible -- it depends on how serious a competitor you want to be. You can get started in FT with almost any air rifle and adjustable objective scope (very important to have adjustable objective). The cheapest combination is probably a Gamo CFX (you will really want a trigger modification that costs about $20, I think), and a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50 scope with BKL mounts. This will cost about $250. You won't win many matches but you will have fun.

The ultimate gear is (arguably) a USFT from mac1airguns.com (about $2000) with a Leupold Competition 35X scope (about $1000) for a PCP. A Steyr is best obtained from Alan Zasadny and will cost about $4000 although a stock FT model can be gotten for about $2500 from our host here. For piston, a TX200 is probably the top gun.

For a primer on FT, check this: http://www.shortcircle.com/airgun/FTintro.pdf

Best,

Joe McDaniel
DIFTA Match Director
superstring

Post by superstring »

Thanks very much, Joe. Very informative.
robf

Post by robf »

depends what class you wish to shoot in.

if you want to shoot in the US world series, ie to the US only rules, then whatever works.

if you want to shoot to WFTF rules, ie 12 ft/lbs...then you have a host of options...probably the best place to start is to see which fits you better scoped up.

The guns used on the uk circuit have as much to do with personal preference as they do performance. The steyr is gaining support because we have excellent UK backup and its a current gun, but that said, all of them will out shoot most people, and put pellet on pellet at 55yds...and the UK shooters will demonstrate that to a devastating degree given an even playing field in the World Championships this year.

According to walther they have sorted the reg temp issues...

If you ask 4 UK FT shooters which is the best gun you'll get 4 answers and 4 different arguments why it isn't.

Best bet, get down a club and try before you buy.

For a more FT Centric opinion checkout airgunforum.net