Setting the Front Sight

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Kiwi bob

Setting the Front Sight

Post by Kiwi bob »

Can anybody give me information as to how to pick the correct element to use in the front sight. I shoot an Anschutz prone 25 & 50 mtr.

Post by Guest »

For a standard length barrel (i.e. no extension/bloop tube) start anywhere between 3.5-4.3mm and then experiment with different sizes and thicknesses of ring (and also between metal/perspex elements) until you find one that works the best.

I'd do this indoors as you'll get constant light, you may (or may not) find you need to use a different size according to the light conditions outdoors. Generally reduce the size in bright light and open up in gloom.

Tim S

Exeter

UK
rfwhatley

Also ...

Post by rfwhatley »

Also see this thread....

viewtopic.php?t=15811

I was surprised what was said. I had been trying a 2.8 and was planning on buying another couple even smaller. Went back to the 3.4 with no drop in score and what felt like less eye strain.
Tim Conrad

Front sight size

Post by Tim Conrad »

Ask 10 shooters, get 15-20 answers. I'll go with the 3.4 on a standard barrel for prone, bigger for standing. Kneeling depends on your hold. Rock solid, 3.4 can work, again I prefer bigger. With a bigger aperture, you will see less motion and break cleaner shots.

For what it's worth, I shoot a 3.8 prone (equivalent) and have no problem calling my shots outdoors. Not enough light on the indoor range for my older eyes.

Too small, and you have less contrast, more eye strain. You want to see and shoot as well on the last string as the first, so eye strain is bad.

On air rifle, the world mostly used 4.0-4.2 Then the mfr's started making barrels the maximum legal length. For some reason, until a few years ago, everyone was about 2-1/2 in short of the limit. So now, you should use 4.2-4.4 mm fronts inserts.