Questions re cleaning of SSP and PCP 10m air rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RFC

Questions re cleaning of SSP and PCP 10m air rifles

Post by RFC »

What is the standard wisdom about how often to clean the barrels of 10m air rifles?

What do you use, pellets or snake (no bristles)?

Thanks

RFC
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Using doubbled over string fron tennis racket, pull two or three wet (TSI301) patches and one dry patch trough from breech end after every tin of pellets.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I bought those quick clean pellets and just shoot 2 through the barrel after 200 rounds or so. I think after 2000 rounds or so you are suppose to shoot a couple "oiled" felt pellets through followed by a couple dry ones.
rfwhatley

Post by rfwhatley »

Jordan F. wrote: I think after 2000 rounds or so you are suppose to shoot a couple "oiled" felt pellets through followed by a couple dry ones.
I'm not so sure about presence of a lot of oil in a PCP barrel. I'm lead to believe that the highly compressed air can oxidize the oil and cause an explosion. So for heavy cleaning, I always used a cleaning rod with oiled patches, then ran dry patches down the barrel before firing.

Maybe I'm mistaken?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

"Dieseling" from oil in the barrel is a phenomenon of spring powered air guns.

When releasing the spring you compress air through venturi, causing the air temerature to rise, and risking ingnition.

With precompressed airguns (cockers or reservoir fed) you release air from compression, causing air temperature to lower (thus the cold feeling on the barrel) with no chance of ignition.
RyanIntershoot

Post by RyanIntershoot »

vfg items are super have a look on weaponcare.com - the Rolls Royce of cleaning systems

Ryan
Intershoot.co.uk