OSHA Attacking Ammunition - Immediate Action

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mike M.

OSHA Attacking Ammunition - Immediate Action

Post by Mike M. »

From the National Shooting Sports Foundation at http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?PRl ... 070207.cfm:

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the government agency charged with assuring the safety and health of America's workers, is proposing a regulatory rule affecting the manufacturing, transportation and storage of small arms ammunition, primers and smokeless propellants.

As written, the proposed rule would force the closure of nearly all ammunition manufacturers and force the cost of small arms ammunition to skyrocket beyond what the market could bear—essentially collapsing our industry. This is not an exaggeration. The cost to comply with the proposed rule for the ammunition industry, including manufacturer, wholesale distributors and retailers, will be massive and easily exceed $100 million. For example, ammunition and smokeless propellant manufacturers would have to shut down and evacuate a factory when a thunderstorm approached and customers would not be allowed within 50 feet of any ammunition (displayed or otherwise stored) without first being searched for matches or lighters.

NSSF and SAAMI have already had a preliminary meeting with OSHA officials to begin the process of explaining to them the major problems this proposed rule presents for all levels of the firearms and ammunition industry. Furthermore, NSSF and SAAMI are each seeking a 60 day extension of the public comment period (currently scheduled to expire July 12).

NSSF is urging all retailers to contact OSHA directly and request a 60-day extension of the public comment period. Retailers should inform OSHA that the proposed rule constitutes a "significant regulatory action" as defined in Executive Order 12866 (1993) Section 3(f)(1) in that it will clearly "adversely affect in a material way" the retail sector of the firearms and ammunition industry, productivity, competition and jobs and that the annual compliance cost for all retailers of ammunition will far exceed $100 million dollars.

My comments: I've read the proposed rule...and NSSF is NOT joking. They are in full-bore anti-ammunition hysteria. My advice...make comments on the OSHA rule. Be polite, but be accurate. THEN write your Congressman.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Is this for real?? As of 1:20pm eastern time US there is no such news item on the NSSF site.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I just read the OSHA proposals (Federal Register 72:18791-18845, published 4-13-2007) and they do look to be real bad. Read them at:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp ... p_id=19509

It would appear if I am reading things properly that:

(1) ammo could not be at the store front of a gun store because it would be near matches or lighters < (c)(3)(iii) > that customers might be carrying and it would be near firearms < (c)(3)(iii)(C) >.

(2) ammo needs to be separated from flammable liquids (cleaning fluids?)behind a fire rated wall < (h)(2) >.

If inacted it does appear that these regulations would force gun stores and gun shows as we now know them to dramatically change how they handle ammunition, driving the price through the roof and probably putting many businesses that sell ammo out of business.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Comment period ends July 12, 2007

For the comments goto:

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main

On the pull down menu on step 2, goto OSHA and click submit.

click on OSHS-2007-0032 on the left to see submitted comments or click on the comment icon on the right to add a comment.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

PaulB wrote:(1) ammo could not be at the store front of a gun store because it would be near matches or lighters < (c)(3)(iii) > that customers might be carrying and it would be near firearms < (c)(3)(iii)(C) >.
Ammunition near firearms? Good grief what next? Maybe they'll not want us to take matches near kindling in case we light a fire in our fireplace....

In all seriousness, hope you guys come out of this alright and get sufficient congressional support. Best wishes from across the pond.
06cowboy

osha regs

Post by 06cowboy »

Hmmm. I would like to know how many injuries there have been, nationwide, caused by matches and lighters being kept to close to the ammo. Seems like the govmnt is trying to take natural selection out of the equation with all the seatbelt laws and drunk driving laws and others. Now this. If all the idiots who aren't smart enough to pour water out of a boot with the instructions on the heal survive the next round, how smart will thier offspring be. Just my opinion.

Post by Guest »

The comment period has been extended into September.
Richard H

Re: osha regs

Post by Richard H »

06cowboy wrote:Hmmm. I would like to know how many injuries there have been, nationwide, caused by matches and lighters being kept to close to the ammo. Seems like the govmnt is trying to take natural selection out of the equation with all the seatbelt laws and drunk driving laws and others. Now this. If all the idiots who aren't smart enough to pour water out of a boot with the instructions on the heal survive the next round, how smart will thier offspring be. Just my opinion.
It probably has more to do with matches and lighters near explosives (which the drones think are all the same) with regards to some of the big explosions with fireworks in the recent past.