.45 ammo with soft load and excellent accuracy

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Hugo

.45 ammo with soft load and excellent accuracy

Post by Hugo »

I just purchased a used Colt Gold Cup National Match .45. It has an excellent trigger and adjustable sights, really a joy to shoot. I am a long term .22LR pistol shooter (Pardini SP New and TOZ35) and I am having difficulities with the huge recoil of the .45 ammo I am currently using from S&B (240 grains load). What I am looking for is the lowest possible charge for a .45 with still just enough power to reload the next round. And all this of course with perfect accuracy ;-). Can anybody advice on a certain make?

Kind Regards,
Hugo
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

You will probably get better advice on a "Bullseye" list . . . however, general principles to apply:

- 185 gr swaged HPWC (Star Bullets are excellent in this regard)
- Fastest burning powder you can use
- Federal Match primers
- Start at minimum load
- If accuracy & reliability satisfactory, increase in 0.1 grain increments

Note that for best results you will need two different ammos and two different springs for 50 yards and 25 yards . . . or you will have to compromise somewhere.

Steve Swartz
Fred Mannis

Re: .45 ammo with soft load and excellent accuracy

Post by Fred Mannis »

Hugo wrote:I just purchased a used Colt Gold Cup National Match .45. It has an excellent trigger and adjustable sights, really a joy to shoot. I am a long term .22LR pistol shooter (Pardini SP New and TOZ35) and I am having difficulities with the huge recoil of the .45 ammo I am currently using from S&B (240 grains load). What I am looking for is the lowest possible charge for a .45 with still just enough power to reload the next round. And all this of course with perfect accuracy ;-). Can anybody advice on a certain make?
It is not clear whether you are asking about factory loads, commercial reloads, or whether you are going to do your own reloading. For factory loads you should try Federal Gold Medal Match 185 grain FMJ. For info on commercial reloads or your own reloads, go to http://groups.google.com/group/Bullseye-L-Archive/.

I don't know anything about the S&B 240 gr load, but I wouldn't shoot any full (hardball) loads in that gun until you confirm that you have an appropriate (16-18lb) recoil spring installed.

Steve - I know people who change ammo between short line and long line, but I have never heard of anyone changing recoil springs.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

If you reload try the traditional 200 grain LSWC over 4.0 grains of Bullseye.
wolskyr

.45 loads

Post by wolskyr »

GOVTMODEL wrote:If you reload try the traditional 200 grain LSWC over 4.0 grains of Bullseye.
... and if you don't, give Neil at http://www.nsksales.com a call. He is a well known and very reliable supplier to the Bullseye crowd.

-- Rob W.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I use 3.6 gr of BE with a 185gr SWC for short line and then 4.0 BE with a 200gr SWC for the long line. I use Magnus Bullets. He will ship you 2000 rounds for ~$8 in shipping.

If you are learning it will be helpfull to have a lighter load for timed and rapid

Some people use one load for both and some people think the 200gr has better accuracy at 50yds than some other bullets. It will depend on your pistol.

The best thing is to make some loads and test them out in a rest.
Hugo

Thanks Guys!!

Post by Hugo »

Thanks for all the advice! I am not into reloading yet, because I only shoot the Colt occassionally in local events. My main events are sports pistol and standard pistol (Pardini SP New) and free pistol (Toz 35). The .45 ammo widely available here (Netherlands) is Sellier & Bellot, but I will try to track down the brands you mentioned.

As far as distance is concerned: over here in the Netherlands we shoot an event called Military Pistol, which is very popular. 24 shots (6 shots per stage) devided over several stages ranging from shooting in the standing position at a single target at 25 meters in 150 secs, to two targets shot from a kneeling position at 20 meters in 12 secs, to three targets again in standing position at 15 meters in 9 secs. All shots are fired single handed. There are some more stages, but it would take up too much space in this forum to elaborate too far....;-). Higher scores are commonly up in the 230's at club events (out of 240 total).

FYI: I posted a picture of the Gold Cup I bought a month ago, pretty nice I think. It included a .22 set along with it!

Cheers,
Hugo
Attachments
Col Gold Cup.JPG
Hugo

BTW

Post by Hugo »

Oh, and by the way: the Military Pistol event is actually an official event organised by the KNSA (Royal Dutch Shotting Federation)!!