Rifle Transport

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan F.

Rifle Transport

Post by Jordan F. »

Do you guys remove the front and rear sight for transportation (just going down to the range or going to a match ,etc)??

Will it return to the SAME point of aim each time this way or will a coule clicks either way be necessery after removing the front/rear site?

Thanks!
jhawk

transport

Post by jhawk »

I always take my sight s off for transport. I put them in a separate padded case. I don't think they move much when I put them back on, but it doesn't make much difference if they do, that's what the knobs are for. Don't be afraid to turn them.
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

I coach a club that has several rifles with cases big enough and well padded that we leave the sights on for transport, several members have personal rifles that they take the sights off for transport. If you have journaled exactly where the sights are positioned, and how tight you put them on...it still takes several sighting shots and a click or two to get back to where you should be. Can see little difference, not to worry about it....

Joe
Hap Rocketto

Transporting Rifle with Sights

Post by Hap Rocketto »

I, and almost everyone I know, always remove sights when transporting arifle. There is a slight chance that a hard impact, if the case is dropped or mishandled in some way, will shear off the sights.

Any good set of sights is easily returned to zero when mounted and a few sighters will solve any other alignment problems.

When flying I also remove the bolt as I once had a stocked cracked when the case was mishandled and the bolt handle was forced against the wood. Baggage staff are hired for brawn and treat all luggage as stuff to be moved.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I never remove the sights for normal car trips.

Air travel or shipping, yes.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

At our club we usually remove the rear sights but not the foresights. Dunno why, just the procedure that's been used ever since I joined. Guess rearsights are bigger and more liable to be sheared off in event of impact. Bolts are ALWAYS removed, because they're stored with university security (along with the range keys). Bolt removal is standard storage practice in the UK to make sure rifles are useless in case of theft.

I have a friend who removes both sets of sights on his personal rifle for storage, but he has to pretty much strip it down anyway - he has to take the cheekpiece out to remove his bolt because of the height he has it at, and the buttplate has to come off to get it in the case he has. That said, he has 3 buttplates he switches around for 3P anyway, and is always taking the sights off to add raising blocks for 3P, so he has to have all his settings well documented. As above, he keeps all his bolts, sights, etc in a well-padded case that travels in his kit bag.

Another guy at the club who is prone-only just removes his rear-sight from his personal rifle.
jhawk

transport

Post by jhawk »

On the newer barrels that have the integral dovetails, the front sight probably isn't as vulnerable to being sheared off as the older bases were/are. I have seen several bases sheared off from bumping. I suppose that it could be argued that I could drop them handling them so much, and that is also a consideration. One plus to taking them off and on is you always know that they are tight. I just feel more comfortable knowing that my sights are protected, or at least I have done all that I can to protect them. Sights are expensive.
Hemmers

Re: transport

Post by Hemmers »

jhawk wrote:Sights are expensive.
Horribly so. When my new rifle comes through, I'll be fastidiously taking the lot off and carefully stowing them away individually...
Tim Conrad

Post by Tim Conrad »

I always take them off. And de-torque the action screws. Not loose, don't want things bouncing around, but less than competition torque. Never had a problem with zero shift, using old 1813 style sights. Gun usually takes 3-4 shots to settle in, shooter usually takes more than that, so I don't think about adjusting for the first 5 shots unless the range has a huge wind change from the last place I shot. Front sight less of an issue, but I use a tube, and have to remove it to put the gun back in it's case, so one more screw and the front sight comes off as well. I don't see any zero shift from the tube, either. Wish I could say the same for the nut behind the bolt.

Sights go in a padded case. Too (blank) expensive to take any chances. Don't want to drive 120 miles to a match and find something damaged. Even driving between home and the range, not worth the risk. Moving a gun from a club locker to the line has lesser risks, still, things can get banged around in the locker or transit.