Questions re grip and gloves

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RFC

Questions re grip and gloves

Post by RFC »

First, I want to thank you all for your courtesy and helpfulness as I have been struggling along with my new 10m AR focus. Of all of the types of shooting I have done over the years, I find this form, for some reason, to be the most challenging and interesting. I think it is, in part, because of the extreme focus and the almost zen like state of mind required. But enough of that.

I would like your opinions about two issues: 1) the proper forearm grip, and 2) shooting gloves.

First, as to grip, I have tried several styles including the fist, standard between the thumb and index finger, and, my favorite, my "flyfishing grip." With the later, the forearm runs longitudinally from my palm to the end of my middle finger which is straight along the center of the forearm. The remaining four of my fingers grip the forearm two per side. For some reason, I find this grip, for me, to be the most relaxed, stable, and natural. I call it the flyfishing grip because in flyfishing the index or middle finger is extended along the grip of the rod to provide directional stability.

Is this just plain dumb and goofy? What types of grips should I try?

Second, I am at the point of getting a shooting glove (though I have not yet succumbed to the jacket). What do you recommend.

Best Regards,

RFC
RyanIntershoot

Post by RyanIntershoot »

Any glove by Anschutz, Gehmann, Kurt Thune, Sauer, Kustermann etc will do the job.

Personally I like the Anschutz Thermo Star and the Gehmann 466

Ryan
Intershoot
WRC

Post by WRC »

Any hand position that supports the rifle at your prefered height, AND keeps the hand steady, will work. Beware of hurting your hand. Shooting off the fist is usually a very stable classic hold, especially if the fingers are parallel with the barrel, but any hand position that doesn't induce bounce or pain will work too.

Re: glove- if you are turning your hand "flat", watch out for the really stiff gloves with heavy plastic or rubber across the back of the hand, like Monard - they will not flex enough. I find that "unusual" hand positions require much testing to get the right fit of glove. (from personal experience because I use a custom hand position due to fist pain). You will also want a glove with as much rubber as possible on the inside of all the fingers. If still available, the red Anschutz 101 (???) might be a good choice, as well as Sauer.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I usually have my left hand in a fist. This is probably the most common way but I know of several ladies who hold the gun inbetween their thumb and index finger with their fingers to the left of the gun and the thumb to the right. This technique didn't work all that great for me though.