Several Questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan F.

Several Questions

Post by Jordan F. »

I recently ordred a FWB 700 alu... Should be here in the next week.

I am also thinking of ordering a 2700 soon, depending on how I like the 700 and have some questions about accessories.

1. Do you guys think that the micro-adjustable slings are worth the extra money over the normal type slings (this would obviously be for the prone/kneeling positions in 3p .22)

2. Are rear iris for the rear sight really worth the extra money for "those extra little points" or are their better ways to spend your money?

Thanks!
jhawk

questions

Post by jhawk »

I think the adjustable iris is probably the first accessory that a person should consider. Light conditions vary, and it is useful to be able to change the diameter of the rear aperature to sharpen the sight picture. Granted, you won't move it much, it will probably never move much greater that .1mm over or under 1mm, but there are times that it is invaluable. As for the color filters inside, they are more of a personal choice, but light conditions dictate their use as well. It is nice to be able to deal with light conditions as they change. If all your shooting is indoors, they maybe could be omitted.
All part of being prepared for any eventuality.
As to the micro-adjustable slings I don't have any knowledge as I have not had any experience with them, nor do I know any one with one.
Hope this helps.
jhawk

questions

Post by jhawk »

Read the thread about the Centra irises and their differences. I posterd my reply before I saw that one.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

I find that having an adjustable iris in the rear peep and an adjustable ring in the front sight are both worth every penny. That's what I have on my Anschutz 1903 (smallbore rifle) and they really help my scores. Dialing them both down as far as I can comfortably, the adjustable rear peep helps with sight alignment and the adjustable front ring helps with sight picture.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the iris would be a good investment in the near future.

Regarding my other question, are the micro-adjustable slings really worth the extra money over the normal slings?

And also, are torque drivers good to have? I would imagine that the aluminium stocks are fairly picky about torque settings.

Thanks!
RyanIntershoot

Post by RyanIntershoot »

The adjustable slings are excellent in my opinion.

1) When shooting a card with 6 or 10 diagrams, you will be aiming at different heights, the facility to quickly adjust your sling length is useful in these circumstances.

2) Also in a long shoot 60 shots etc, your clothiny may start to sag near the end as it shifts on your body, you would then be able to tighten up your sling a little to compensate.

If you use electronic targets you aim at the same target every shot so reason one becomes redundant, reason two still stands

Check out the Sauer Exact II or if feeling flush the ahg Swing.

Agree fully on points made about the rear iris, its a must have. Lots of used ones on ebay that can be cleaned with alcohol and will last forever, Gehmann guarantee theirs for 30 years!

The front iris is a bit more of a luxury as once you find your ideal size you will not vary that much. When you find your ideal size think about investing in a Centra High End foresight element, polished glass with very good sight picture

Ryan
Intershoot UK
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like the Micro-adjustable sling might be worth the extra money as well.

And one other question - are torque drivers worth the money? And are aluminium stocks picky on torque settings?

Thanks !
RyanIntershoot

Post by RyanIntershoot »

Yeah the ALU stocks can vary greatly on torque settings.

Also if you want to dismantle to clean the barrel/action you will want the action back in at the correct torque.

For £45 ($90) its well worth the money
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks for the reply! And one other question I thought of last night regarding the iris's.

Can any one reccomend a rear iris with the filters. I was looking at the Gehmann 565 last night. Do you think this would be a good choice or are there others in that price range or cheaper that will be a better choice?
peepsight

Iris with filters

Post by peepsight »

I use a Gehmann iris with 5 filters for air rifle. Having said that, i rarely use the filters in doors with artificial light as they do cut down on light transmission to your eye. They are however, usefull when targets are very brightly lit and sight picture contrast with out flare can be improved.

If you opt for an iris with filters including a polarising filter, remember that the polarising filter will only be of use in day light. It has no effect with indoor lighting.

My favourite iris which i use on my small bore .22 is the AHG iris with 5 filters + polariser. It is a little more expensive than Gehmann or Centra.

Peepsight