Question re optimum AR 10m front sight aperture size?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RFC

Question re optimum AR 10m front sight aperture size?

Post by RFC »

Try saying that 10 times.

In my efforts to teach myself 10m AR shooting, I have, lately, been giving a great deal of attention to technique ala "Air Rifle Shooting." As a result, what little consistency I had developed went directly down the toilet.

This morning, in an effort to diagnose my problems, I shot at 1/2 inch dots. To my surprise, from the first shot, my consistency and accuracy tightened right up.

This has led me to question whether I am using too small of an aperture in the front sight (3.2) and am losing consistency chasing around the larger 10m bull.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Best Regards,

RFC
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I would suggest that 3.2mm is way too small unless you have a really steady hold and really good vision. And it certainly is too small if you have a barrel extension. I started shooting air rifle in 1973 and have used 4.0mm almost all the time (on a "standard" length barrel). On a longer barrel it would need to be larger.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

3.2mm is way to small I like a 3.6mm and I have been told that that is a little small (can you see any white around the ring).
I would go with a 3.6-4.2mm like PaulB said it does depend on you age and the length of your rifle. I use the 3.6mm because it forces me to have a better hold and my scores have gone up.

-Brian
Tony C.

10 M AR

Post by Tony C. »

I would say 3.2 MM is way too small, depending on your barrel length, 3.8-4.0 would be the minimum one can get a good sight picture. If you are a young person or someone with excellent unaided vision, you may get away with 3.6 MM.

The general rule of thumb is when looking thru the sight, the front aperture should be at least 1.5 times bigger than the aimming mark, in other words the band of white ring around the aimming mark should be about 1/4 in width compare to it.

A telltale sign of using too small a front aperture is you'll get a few very good center shot but majority of shots scatter all over even when sight picture; hold; trigger let off etc. etc. seems perfect.

Tony C.
RFC

Post by RFC »

Thank you all. I think we have diagnosed the problem. I will reinstall the 4.0. It is interesting in that this is one of those counter intuitive things one learns with experience.

Best Regards,

RFC
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I use different sizes depending on the rifle (junior or full size) and how I'm shooting that day.

I select an aperture size that keeps the bull inside the aperture, given my wobble.

For both rifles (junior and full size), each rifle has a "standard" aperture that I figured out works most of the time for that rifle. I don't remember the sizes but they are different.

On days that I have a bad wobble, I go up to a larger size.

The only way I can use a tight aperture is off a bench...I wobble way too much when I stand.