601 sighting issues

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

sean

601 sighting issues

Post by sean »

my 601 continuously shoots low, no matter how much I adjust the dial towards the "t".
The rifle is benchrested @ 7' when I do this.This rifle should hit the bullseye all day long. Any tips? This is frustrating!! Thanks, Sean
P.S. I shouldn't have to aim lower!
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

It sounds like your sight's elevation adjustment is either topped out high or is not moving. You should be able to see if it is topped out by looking at its position. If it is topped out you will need to get a very short riser block.

You should be able to see if it is moving when you turn the knob by watching to see if the moving part moves relative to the fixed part of the sight when you turn the knob. If the sight is not moving you might first try a little lubrication. After that, the sight may need to be rebuilt by a professional.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

If you're shooting at 7 FEET the problem may simply be a deliberate design issue. The bore line is below the sight line. If you visualize the sight line as being truly horizontal, then the pellet would rise to intersect the sight line at the target (or pass through the sight line and intercept it again on the way down) (that's why the zero for a .22 rifle is generally the same at 50' as at 50 yards. The bullet is rising at 50 feet, falling at 50 yards. But I digress....).

It may be that at 7 feet you simply aren't providing enough room for the projectile to rise enough. Think of an extreme example. If your target was 1 inch from the muzzle and you aimed at the bull, your shot would be well below the 10 ring. At a range of 1 foot you would certainly still have the same problem. At a range of 7 feet it may still the same issue.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure exactly what a "601" is. Are you referring to the Domino/FAS 601 pistol or a FWB air rifle?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I second what Sean said (I missed the 7' distance, just read that you were shooting low)
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

Here's the trajectory concept in a picture. Source Hornady handbook of Cartridge Reloading 3rd Edition Page 404.
Attachments
Trajectory.doc
(57 KiB) Downloaded 209 times