Barrel Diameter and Grip Size

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan F.

Barrel Diameter and Grip Size

Post by Jordan F. »

I have decided that I would like to get the FWB 2700 alu for a .22 free rifle but I am not sure which barrel diamter or grip size to get. I am 15 years old but am growing preatty fast. I am currently five foot eleven with a narrow build (I am about 145 lbs or so) but as mentioned am still growing quite a bit.

I was told I should get 22mm barrel as apposed to the 24mm barrel beccause after 40 or more shots that lighter weight is nicer which makes sence. Do you guys think I should get hte medium or large grip size?

Thank you
Jordan
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Jordan: I go for light. My thinking is that there are lots of ways to add weight and less ways to take it off-particularly at the front. You can add weight later as you like and put it on the rifle where it will keep the balance in check.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks pdeal - I will go for light.

Any idea on what grip size I should go for (small, medium or large?)

Thanks!
isuguncoach

grip size

Post by isuguncoach »

Jordan,
Same idea applies, go for a medium, then you can always purchase a large if
needed, or add material to the medium to make a more correct grip as your hand grows. There are several fiberclass kits, that can be used to add demension to the grip for a better fit.

Joe
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks for the additional help.

Just curious though: Is there a general rule of thumb as to what grip size to get depending on your height or palm circumfrance or something like that?
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have never heard of anything. I think medium is a good choice too. Also, ask your dealer before buying. It would seem to me that if he stocks the stuff then maybe if you get the rifle and don't like the grip you could swap him for a different one. If he has to order it in that would probably not work. As ISUguncoach says though you really have lots of options on the grip by adding epoxy putty, filing, etc. If you want it to look good you can paint the grip when you are done.
peepsight

Grip size

Post by peepsight »

Hi Jordonf

Pdeal is right and i suggest you seek advice from a coach, However, it is worth bearing in mind that a grip that is too small in palm volume will cause the hand to 'overgrip' which in turn puts the wrist and fore arm muscles under tension.
A grip that is too large in volume will not allow the hand to grip sufficiantly firmly 'undergrip' and thus it is much harder to achieve a constant pressure grip from shot to shot.

Most grip selection is by trial and error which is not a bad way of getting the right size. Mould your own dimensions with Morini grip putty if you cannot find a suitable size or shape. The pistol shooters are always doing this so give it go.

With a right handed rifle you usually get 3 sizes, S M L but with left handed guns they only seem to supply a medium.

Peepsight
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thank you for the help. I will probably get medium but will talk to the Canadian importer for FWB (he shot on the national team and should know) before making my final decision.

Jordan