Twelve important principles for helping people to perform...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Russ

Twelve important principles for helping people to perform...

Post by Russ »

Twelve most important principles for helping people to perform to the best of their ability.
Is it interesting topic?
bryan

Post by bryan »

russ, you looking for some more content?

my suggestion is keep the team manager away from the shooters.
just kidding, you dont know who is reading this!

bryan
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Yes.
Please go on.
Both of you contribute very valuable experience and information on this forum.
If there's a 'list' - please - I'd like to read it, then apply it.
Russ

From the book of Alan Loy McGinnis...

Post by Russ »

From the book of Alan Loy McGinnis:
"Alan Loy McGinnis (1933-2005) was an author, Christian psychotherapist, and founder and director of the Valley Counseling Center in Glendale, California" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Loy_McGinnis

I use them by myself and can recommend it to everyone who will recognize power of those words.
Russ

1. Expect the best from the people you lead. A true leader (coach) needs to drop the role of “watch-dog” and to display a positive attitude toward everyone who works under him.
2. Study of other person’s needs. “Walking a mile in another person’s shoes" will allow a coach to truly understand someone he is working with.
3. Establish high standards of excellence. Many people have never learned the pleasure of setting high standard and living up to them.
4. Create an environment where failure is not fatal. Athletes who expect to succeed all of the time often cannot rise from the failure.
5. Identify the beliefs and causes of people (athlete) that he works with.
6. Employing models to encourage success. Hearing about true success stories of famous Olympic Style target shooters can build great motivation and strong confidence level.
7. Recognizing and applauding achievement, look for the strength in your student (athlete) catch him or her “doing something right”, and compliment it.
8. Employ mixture of positive and negative reinforcement. Using praise is only one of many methods used to motivate. Sometimes he or she can perform the best by simply to be afraid to be punished.
9. Competition is good! Decision to compete with other creates good morale and allows the task to be completed more efficiently.
10. Learn how to deal with problems. Learn how to handle difficult moments in others people life… (Crisis management skills) learn how to stay in difficult situation and solve them.
11. Renewing oneself through other than your sport activities, reading, education, seminars…etc extremely necessary for the coach to establish valuable energy level to the order perform his own best and execute all forenamed principles.
12. …. It will be your own.
2650 Plus

rules for shooting siccess

Post by 2650 Plus »

12.Teach positive concepts. Example of wrong way " don't Jerk the trigger"
bryan

Post by bryan »

good find russ.

bill, jerking trigger helps if your working a poor shot into a good result on RF.
not something you train!

o/k, I took it out of context. must be catchy.

bryan
RobStubbs

Re: From the book of Alan Loy McGinnis...

Post by RobStubbs »

Russ wrote:From the book of Alan Loy McGinnis:
"Alan Loy McGinnis (1933-2005) was an author, Christian psychotherapist, and founder and director of the Valley Counseling Center in Glendale, California" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Loy_McGinnis

I use them by myself and can recommend it to everyone who will recognize power of those words.
Russ

1. Expect the best from the people you lead. A true leader (coach) needs to drop the role of “watch-dog” and to display a positive attitude toward everyone who works under him.
That would be better worded as "... works with him", coaching is a partnership between athlete and coach not really a master / student relationship - IMHO.

Rob.
bryan

Post by bryan »

rob, I think the student has to respect the coach to learn from them. off the range, friends.
on the range, when I am coaching, Im the boss.
it is not very productive otherwise.
but in saying that I work very hard to create a team that works together. to me this is an important role of the coach.

once this environment is established the coach becomes part of the team, working more as an equal, but is still responsible for the team.

that is regardless of outcome. only the poor coach blames the shooter for a poor performance, and takes credit for good ones, which we see happening all to often.

imho

bryan
ASA

Post by ASA »

bryan wrote:...the student has to respect the coach to learn from them. on the range, when I am coaching, Im the boss.
Then you would be the boss rather than the coach.
According to an online etymology (I have done this mainly for my benefit, Englisch is not my native tongue..) this is the origin of coach:
coach
1556, "large kind of carriage," from M.Fr. coche, from Ger. kotsche, from Hung. kocsi (szekér) "(carriage) of Kocs," village where it was first made. In Hungary, the thing and the name for it date from 15c., and forms are found in most European languages. Applied to railway cars 1866, Amer.Eng. Sense of "economy or tourist class" is from 1949. Meaning "instructor/trainer" is c.1830 Oxford University slang for a tutor who "carries" a student through an exam; athletic sense is 1861.
I think coaching is a game of "give-and-take" and thus depends strongly on cultural settings. An effective coach in one setting can easily be a complete failure when facing a culturally different audience.
The person who tries to assume the role of a coach might be the most competent person in his area ever to walk on this planet . If she/he is not accepted by the ones to be carried through the endeavor at hand, all of the coach input would be regarded as "bossing around".
Recall the venerable Mr. Sun-zi in his "art of war". When he tried to teach the emperor's concubines to defend the emperor he had to kill the first 20 or so before the remaining ones paid attention to him. He was surely not "coaching".

Best example is probably my remark. Should there ever be a coaching relationship between the two of us (regardless of who coaches whom in whatever area), we would probably need some time to establish mutual trust and acceptance - assuming the same ego-size...

kind regards
Axel
2650 Plus

Coaching

Post by 2650 Plus »

In the military, the coach is often assigned as opposed to recognized. In that enviornment you usually rely on the top shooters for real coaching. Some can do it, some can't . The mark of the assigned coach was that when a shooter won or fired a new record all the coaches would gather in a group behind the firing line and congratulate one another. The shooter was often ignored. The real coach was too busy congratulating the shooter to join in. Yes, there are people like that. Good shooting Bill Horton
bryan

Post by bryan »

must of been late when I typed that up, it was in relation to employed coaching position. free coaching is as per axel stated.

bill, thats classic. but you dont need to be in the army to get the assigned coach, and rely on your team mates for support!

bryan