A Intro and Question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ERIK_A

A Intro and Question

Post by ERIK_A »

Hope this is the correct spot for this...

Hi all,
Just got on your board and was browsing around. I used to shoot 10M Air Rifle Competitively and enjoyed it alot. I also used to shoot smallbore. I have not shot either in a while because of work. I am currently overseas and am jonesing to compete again. I was thinking about trying to get into 10M air pistol. Its a discipline that I have never shot and am looking for advise as far as equipment goes. I know that is a vague question but I would want a good starter pistol for one thing. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

PS Anschutz has come along way since my 2002 Pneumatic and 2002 ALU but they still shoot awesome. ((Looks like 8000 and 9000 series rifles, when did that happen))I can still hold the 10 most of the time.

Erik
Fred Mannis

Re: A Intro and Question

Post by Fred Mannis »

ERIK_A wrote:Hope this is the correct spot for this...

Hi all,
Just got on your board and was browsing around. I used to shoot 10M Air Rifle Competitively and enjoyed it alot. I also used to shoot smallbore. I have not shot either in a while because of work. I am currently overseas and am jonesing to compete again. I was thinking about trying to get into 10M air pistol. Its a discipline that I have never shot and am looking for advise as far as equipment goes. I know that is a vague question but I would want a good starter pistol for one thing. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

PS Anschutz has come along way since my 2002 Pneumatic and 2002 ALU but they still shoot awesome. ((Looks like 8000 and 9000 series rifles, when did that happen))I can still hold the 10 most of the time.

Erik
Hi Erik.
Lot of discussion about this a while back. Do a search in Olympic Pistol using "izh46" or "entry-level".
If your budget will allow it, and you are serious about about shooting competitively, then I would start with a quality pistol e.g. FWB P44, Steyr LP10, Morini, etc. The choice amongst these is personal fit/feel. If you are in Europe, you should be able to find a used one at a good price. At a less costly level the IZH46M is a good choice in the U.S. However, its price in Europe vs. say a used Steyr LP1 may make it less attractive.
Hope this helps
Fred
ERIK_A

Post by ERIK_A »

Fred,
Appreciate the response. Thats what I was kind of thinking. I am currently not in Europe although that is where I started competing. Right now I am in a bit sandier enviroment.

I will check through the forum. Appreciate the comments.

Erik
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Over in the Sandbox? 10m Air Pistol is fun the other thing that is appealing is you don't need all the gear that you need for rifle shooitng (jacket, pants, boot gloves etc.). Really it all depends on how much you want to spend New Precompressed (PCP)guns are in $1200-1800 range (thats your (LP10, Morini, Walther, FWB. Used in the 1000 plus range (but now your not paying tax so you save a little more, you can find good CO2 variants like an LP1 (which is a great pistol) for around $800 plus used.

Now if you looking for a cheaper alternative the IZH 46 can be had for around 300 and change new and 200 plus used. There are also good used Walther and FWb single strokes that come on the market every now and then.
ERIK_A

Post by ERIK_A »

Yep,
Sandbox it is. I bought a Izzy today, the next question is where do I go from here. I got alot of ammo and if pistol is anything like rifle, it will mean alot of practice. I like the forum Ive learned alot I didnt know about pistol over the last week.

Erik
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

ERIK_A wrote:Yep,
Sandbox it is. I bought a Izzy today, the next question is where do I go from here. I got alot of ammo and if pistol is anything like rifle, it will mean alot of practice. I like the forum Ive learned alot I didnt know about pistol over the last week.

Erik
Welcome to AP :-)

Some good things to read, if you haven't already:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm Lots of other good stuff on this site that applies to all forms of pistol shooting

http://www.targetshooting.ca/ go to 'Training Theory and Exercise' section.

And, of course, the Pistol Coaching section of this website http://www.pilkguns.com/pistolcoaching.shtml

Enjoy!

Fred