Initial impression of new Walther LG 30/lg30 junior

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ted

Initial impression of new Walther LG 30/lg30 junior

Post by Ted »

Just picked up some of these from champion's Choice for my high school team. Examined one for about 30 minutes and will have first practice with one on thursday. Some good and bad.
The good first. We had been shooting the RWS 75's for years so these are an improvement over them in the fact they are more adjustable, lighter. Like the synthetics and balance of gun. Trigger is nice (aproximately 3 ounces (I don't have a gauge so this is a guestimate but, I have had free pistols I own with 1 ounce trigger as a comparison). Trigger can be adjusted crisp,single stage or two stage with a 'roll' in it. Gun comes complete with sights, an aperture and all tools needed to make the adjustments (5 allen wrenches and one universal wrench). Adapter comes with one cylinder. gun weighs about 8 pounds for the lg 30 and about 4 ounces lighter for the junior.
Now the bad. I mentioned it came with sights. THEY ARE GAMO!!! I will repeat this. THEY ARE GAMO!!! I can't believe a walther would come with GAMO sights. Am I missing something here? I know Walther bought out Hammerli a little over a year ago but, does Walther own GAMO too???
Only one front aperture comes with the gun. It is a clear in 3.8.
Cheekpiece is squared instead of traditional round found on most guns and it doesnt' feel as comfortable as most rounded cheekpieces.
Will give a range report after thursdays initial session.
Jim E

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post by Jim E »

OK - so do you get what you pay for in a less then $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ air rifle?
peepsight

LG-30

Post by peepsight »

Hi Ted

The Walther LG-30 was originally designed and built by Hammerli and was called the AR-30. UMEREX who own Walther took over Hammerli and the gun was re-badged with Walther logo.
Not sure if UMEREX own ELgamo, but they may well do hence the back site.
The Centra economy back sight is a very good alternative.
All of the match air rifle makers are now adopting the flat topped cheek piece with definate edges as shooters are saying they can achieve a more precise head position than with the older round topped ones.
I think it is a good entry level air rifle and it can be built up in weight as the shooter grows.

Peepsight
Ted

Post by Ted »

Introduced the rifles to my junior shooters thursday. They were very excited as they have been without any rifles for a while! Spent about an hour familarizing them with the gun/manual/filling procedure (they have only shot the RWS 75's before) and then they shot them for about 2 hours. Over-all, I am satisfied witht the lg30. They are very adjustable and coaching a high school team I have a range of size and shapes to adjust too! Triggers are good and can be adjusted crisp or with a roll. My only concern was the rear sight. I played with some adjusting of it and it always came back to zero. I will do some more next week but, it appears to be an ok sight. Time will tell if it holds up. I still wish Walther would put a Walther sight on their own gun and be done with it. I think this would help sell more of them. I have e-mailed them as to why they put a Gamo sight and hope they respond.