Opinions of Russian Expatriates?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

The Highlander

Opinions of Russian Expatriates?

Post by The Highlander »

OK, first off, not trying to start any flame wars here, just curious about opinions from folks who may be more knowledgeable than I am.

I haven't shot at the same competitive level that some of you have, but I have competed in various NRA programs over the years, some IHMSA, some local Club matches, and some USBR rimfire matches. I have owned three different M54 Anschutz's (2 prone, 1 free rifle), one of the original hand-graded Suhl 150's that I still regret selling, a Walther KKM and a few other stray target grade rimfires during those years. Recently, partly through Mac Tilton's influences, I have discovered and begun collecting and shooting vintage Russian target rifles. To date I have a mint Tula MU-12 made in the mid-fifties with the DST, a Ural top-of-the-line from the same period with a bedded steel block and a free-floating action and barrel with DST, also in mint condition, and three Vostok CM-2's, one that I had to do a major reclamation project on to build a silhouette rifle for my wife, and both a 2nd and a 3rd generation that are in VG to Exc condition with all the accessories.

Before disposing of some of my other high-end rifles I had the opportunity to shoot these guns side-by-side with my Tula, my Ural and one of my Vostok's. I have also shot in competition against Anschutz's, Suhl's, Walther's, Remington 40X's and 540X's, Winchester M52's, BSA Martini International match guns, etc. So far the only two guns that would actually "outshoot" my guns (same shooters testing both guns) were the Suhl, which was one of the graded "grade 10" guns, and an Anschutz M54 (don't know the model number) that had been re-barreled with a custom BR barrel, fitted with a harmonic barrel tuner, and pillar-bedded in a McMillan glass stock. I have not shot against any of the dedicated custom BR actions and barrels like the Stolle, the Swindlehurst or the Panda, but assume that a custom-built instrument like this would probably beat my guns.

I usually make my home at www.rimfireshooting.com, but have also been known to frequent RFC as well, and many of our members take part in NRA 3P matches, Club matches, organized and sanctioned BR matches, NRA Silhouette, etc. We are starting to see more of an acceptance level for the Russian guns, particularly the commercial Izhmash CM-2, especially since the NRA just recognized it's junior or Cadet model as a Club gun. We have even seen a few of the higher-end Russians, the Ural 5-1's and 6-1's that have made their way down here from Canada and have been re-worked as BR rifles with very good success. I personally briefly had my hands on a 6-1 that had been smithed by Butch Hongisto out of the St. Louis area, had a McMillan glass stock and a Time barrel tuner with the trigger pull at an even 2 ounces. The owner of this rifle set several match records with it before it moved on. We have also seen pictures of a vintage MU-12 in Canada that was completely re-built in a custom aluminum "spacegun" stock by a master craftsman and holds most of the local club records.

So, after all of this rambling, what is the general consensus of the better Russian target rifles? You have to admit, they did well with them in 1956, 1960 and 1964, even though I think they are probably all using Annie's now. Can a shooter who dedicates himself (or herself) to learning and using one of these guns, even with their peculiarities, be competitive in MOST venues. I doubt that they would still be competitive at the highest level (although I would love to try that aluminum-stocked MU-12 in Canada ;-)), but are they "good enough" for the beginning, average, or even slightly above-average competition shooters out there? Both Mac and Thad Scott have these guns available at very competitive prices, especially Mac, who also personally checks out every gun that he sells and tries to match your needs and requirements. Both of my guns from Mac were less than $500 with all the sights and accessories, and my two personal CM-2's were bought locally for $250 apiece and the dealer let me sort through 16 of them to pick the two that I bought. This represents great value in my humble and probably unqualified opinion. I would like your opinions.

Bill McHenry
"The Highlander"
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Sounds like much of your background comes from benchrest? My classification in NRA 3p is expert. My goal is to make master. From where I sit the accuracy of any of the rifles you listed will get me to master my rifle will too. Seems to me the advances in smallbore rifles have come in ergonomics. It is very hard to shoot one of those old rifles very well in standing. To me the stock fit and balance is key. This is where the older rifles are limited. I shoot an Anschutz 2013 and it fits great. In my case the rifle does not seem to be the problem.
The Highlander

Great to Hear From You Pete!

Post by The Highlander »

It's been awhile. I think the last time we "talked" was when I bought that stock from you that you made. I re-inletted it and that's what my Wife's CM-2 is now in for her Silhouette rifle.

Your answer is just about what I was looking for. First off, I actually have more Silhouette experience than BR, BR's only been fairly recent, and I also have some standing "bullseye" type experience from my younger days. Afraid my body has difficulties with the physical requirements of 3P or I would be trying it too. In my own past experience, my graded Suhl 150 ruled the roost, so to speak, in informal BR matches, but when I attempted to use it for our NRA Silhouette matches my scores dropped from a solid triple-A to double-A, the gun just didn't fit me right. I knew it was mechanically capable of outshooting anything that I shot against, but I couldn't make it perform.

The answer was to make a new, separate stock for it, a Fajen's lightweight Thumbhole Silhouette with weight added to the butt to compensate for the 26" barrel, complete with new action screws of the correct length and pillar bedded and custom fitted to my shooting stance. Once each month I switched stocks, got in a few days practice, then shot my matches. Almost immediately my scores went back up to triple-A and I maxed out at 36 out of 40 three times, just couldn't quite get over the hump to make Master.

I guess my real question on the Russians is, mechanically they can still perform if well-maintained. Would a similar stock change put them on a more competitive footing with the current batch of match rifles? I know that I could get Don Stith or Mike Turner or even Richards to make me a separate Silhouette stock for one of my CM-2's (I don't think the DST's on the Tula or Ural are allowed) and fit the stock to my frame. Even though I don't intend to shoot 3P formally, I have a 25-year old Son who is considering it and I could get a separate stock made for my Tula that essentially copied current Anschutz or Walther ergonomics. I have no problem with getting a used Annie (in fact he's had one before), but it sounds as if that would need to be altered as well to truly be competitive. If that's the case, would one of my Russians get him started on the right foot if it had the right stock and accessories?

BTW Pete, here's a link to that MU-12 I mentioned in the "spacegun" stock. Now this one is obviously setup specifically for ARA BR competition, but you can see the possibilities. I do have a machinist friend who has seen this picture and expressed some interest in trying his hand at something similar for my MU-12 for standing competition. Your thoughts would, as always, be appreciated.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h252/ ... CN0851.jpg

Bill
"The Highlander"