2012 Olympic logo will make U crazy

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I don't think that's an appropriate way to describe epilepsy sufferers. It would appear that in some forms of epilepsy these images could trigger an epileptic attack. It will not however make you 'crazy'.

That is not to say most people like the logo or adds, as a lot of people seem to dislike it.

Regards,

Rob.

Post by Guest »

Lighten up, Francis.....
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

For people who suffer from epilepsy (mild or otherwise) this is not a minor irritation.

Ditto for those who can have a migraine triggered by light 'displays'

Spencer
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Actually Rob I think if anyone was exposed too long to that hideous logo they may go "crazy". I've heard they are using that logo to torture confession and information out of captured insurgents. I once saw a broken bottle of Petobismol on the supermarket floor and it actually looked something like that logo.
iow

Post by iow »

What does seem crazy , is the fact that it supposedly cost 400,000 quid to come up with this logo.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

iow wrote:What does seem crazy , is the fact that it supposedly cost 400,000 quid to come up with this logo.
Perhaps crazy to you - but how much do you think a large company spends when they get a new logo ? I bet it's as much as that, probably more.

I think also the cost includes not just a pretty (debateable) picture, but the surrounding advertising as well.

And don't forget whilst many people may not like it they know damn well what the logo looks like and what it is for. That in advertising terms is a 100% success.

Rob.
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

RobStubbs wrote: And don't forget whilst many people may not like it they know damn well what the logo looks like and what it is for. That in advertising terms is a 100% success.

Rob.
Seeing the "london" and the Olympic rings I knew it was the olympic logo. However, I was completely lost as to the significance of the 5 red "blobs" until I read the 2nd paragraph of the linked article.

It is sure to be remembered, though (in general terms; not in the exact layout of the blobs...er, art).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Tom Amlie wrote:Seeing the "london" and the Olympic rings I knew it was the olympic logo.
Now imagine it reduced to go on a pen or keyring(or other small item). What's happened to the rings and "London"?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Like the 1996 Atlanta mascot - now, what was its name and what did it look like?
I do remember it was on clearance special in the stalls before the first medal was contested...

Spencer
iow

Post by iow »

Yes Rob , I do think it's crazy spending that much on a logo that looks like that.
100% advertising success ? ..... Sure , with 99.9% negative reactions.
WRC

Post by WRC »

Spencer wrote:Like the 1996 Atlanta mascot - now, what was its name and what did it look like?
I do remember it was on clearance special in the stalls before the first medal was contested...

Spencer
Oh yeah, the forgettable "Izzy" - as in "what on earth Iz that!??" It looked like, well how would you put it, a piece of blue & white poo? Am I close? Do I get a pin?! :^)
ASA

Post by ASA »

Here is another example for logo costs:

A couple of year ago, the German railway "Deutsche Bundesbahn" decided it was time for a change.
The previous logo was, quite naturally "DB" in red capital letters.
Some millions later the new logo was "DB" again in red capital letters.

The difference was the font: It was changed from a times roman style to an arial style font.

The claim was: the previous font was outdated and the modern font signals modernity, agility and something generally dynamic. The connections still experience delays..
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

Another example: In the US there used to be a hotel/restaurant chain called "Howard Johnsons". They thought they needed a new name and image. After several million dollars spent on consulting they became "Howard Johnson".

(This story was told to me by a marketing professor in graduate school back in the mid-80s. Truth not verified.)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you want to see logo changing gone mad then look at the BBC logo changes.

I doubt if many people even noticed the changes when they happened. Still, at least it has kept teams of designers employed over the years.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

ASA wrote:Here is another example for logo costs:

A couple of year ago, the German railway "Deutsche Bundesbahn" decided it was time for a change.
The previous logo was, quite naturally "DB" in red capital letters.
Some millions later the new logo was "DB" again in red capital letters.

The difference was the font: It was changed from a times roman style to an arial style font.

The claim was: the previous font was outdated and the modern font signals modernity, agility and something generally dynamic. The connections still experience delays..
What do you mean, I thought the trains in Germany were always on time ;)
ASA

Post by ASA »

There was indeed an old tv-ad from the bundesbahn (15+ years ago).
It depicted a lonely guy alone in a conference room waiting for others to come - suggesting that with the railway you would always be on time - not like the ones relying on other means of transportation.
Nobody would broadcast this one in these days..

Contrast this with the fact that Mr. Mehdorn, the current CEO, usually takes the plane for travel...

Delays are notorious enough (even though usually in the range of half an hour or less) that a couple of sites exist for this:
http://www.bahnverspaetung.de/ (railway delay)
http://www.schlichtungsstelle-nahverkehr.de (arbitrationboard-short distance)
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Spencer wrote:Like the 1996 Atlanta mascot - now, what was its name and what did it look like?

Spencer
That triggers memories. I was working in Huntsville AL at the time, 3 hours from Atlanta. Someone brought in an izzy. One of the guys thought it was some kind of "safe sex" give away. Izzy had a pointed head greatly resembling a condom, at least to one person. Absolutely NO ONE thought it had anything to do with the Olympics.

Later

Mike