NRA Ruling Affecting Teams

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USMA82

NRA Ruling Affecting Teams

Post by USMA82 »

I recently brought a State Association team to an NRA Sectional. Following the match, we were informed that we were disqualified.

Rule 2.11 defines club teams. Rule 2.12, State Associations, has a note that states "Teams representing State Associations, Leagues, and other associations (composed of more than one club) are not club teams. Such teams may enter NRA Sanctioned Matches only when the program specifically authorizes such entry." In other words, unless the program specifically authorizes State Associations, they are not allowed to compete.

If you read the note carefully, you'll see it also refers to "Leagues and other associations...". If you plan on shooting as part of a team like E-World, OHINKY, etc. I'd make sure you're authorized by the program before you shoot. We had the OK of our match director to participate in this Sectional, and were disqualified after the fact because the program did not specifically include the appropriate language. I understand that the protest has been upheld by the NRA.

These rules appear in both the NRA Bullseye and International books.

Thanks,

John
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I am utterly mystified by the "logic" behind many sections of the NRA Highpower and Smallbore rifle rules.
GOVTMODEL

Re: NRA Ruling Affecting Teams

Post by GOVTMODEL »

USMA82 wrote:I recently brought a State Association team to an NRA Sectional. Following the match, we were informed that we were disqualified.

Rule 2.11 defines club teams. Rule 2.12, State Associations, has a note that states "Teams representing State Associations, Leagues, and other associations (composed of more than one club) are not club teams. Such teams may enter NRA Sanctioned Matches only when the program specifically authorizes such entry." In other words, unless the program specifically authorizes State Associations, they are not allowed to compete.

If you read the note carefully, you'll see it also refers to "Leagues and other associations...". If you plan on shooting as part of a team like E-World, OHINKY, etc. I'd make sure you're authorized by the program before you shoot. We had the OK of our match director to participate in this Sectional, and were disqualified after the fact because the program did not specifically include the appropriate language. I understand that the protest has been upheld by the NRA.

These rules appear in both the NRA Bullseye and International books.

Thanks,

John
AFAIK, State Association teams have never been allowed in Sectionals.

The unfortunate aspect of this is that the Match Director screwed up by allowing an ineligible team to shoot.