Different sight mounts on older Anschutz?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TargetTerror

Different sight mounts on older Anschutz?

Post by TargetTerror »

I have an Anschutz 1413 free rifle that I purchased used. Actually, it is a 1413 stock, and it looks like a Model 54 action. It came with a fairly new rear sight (I think its maybe 2-3 generations old, one of the metal ones), which fits onto a modern looking Anschutz rail (it is the same as is on my 2001 SuperAir).

The front sight mounts much differently. There are 3 wedge-shaped mounts spaced evenly along the barrel. I think the 2 closest to receiver are for a Unertl scope, though I could be wrong. The front sight looks like a 1960s vintage, as its very old and beat up (though it still works fine). The bottom part is shaped such that it mounts completely around the wedge.

As it is setup, the sights work fine. However, when i tried to put my riser blocks from my air rifle on the gun, the front sight would not mount to the riser block. The lip on the bottom was too pronounced/deep. I tried mounting the sight from my air rifle on the free rifle, but it actually sits about 1/4 inch too high when mounted on the wedges. If you look at the 2 sights side by side, you can see that the newer sight is actually taller, mount to center of ring, than the old sight.

Does anyone know if they make a mount for my action that would accomodate modern sights and riser blocks??

Thanks!

Post by Guest »

Anschutz 6713/1 8mm rasier blocks are the ones you want. Anschutz still make them for 14-18xx rifles with a block screwed onto the barrel, rather than the grooves cut straight into the barrel (introduced about '88 with the 19xx rifles).

You should be able to find an old tunnel quite easily and cheaply. There are usually one or two on ebay (at on least the British version), and most target gunsmiths should have some knocking about.

You are quite right that the barrel blocks nearer the action are for mountng an old Unertl type scope.

Tim S

Exeter UK
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

Thanks Tim, that was VERY helpful. Now I have a couple more questions, though.

Do you know of a mounting solution that would let me mount a modern front sight onto my older barrel, directly, without using riser blocks? I am thinking I might want to use a more modern front sight with cant adjustments for prone, so without riser blocks.

As for the bloop tubes (that is what you're talking about, right?) do they generally include the grooved rail to accomodate modern front sights, even if they are designed to attach to an older barrel? Do you have a model number/link to a specific one you had in mind for my application?

Thanks again!
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Target Terror, the most versatile way to mount a front sight with easy height adjustment to the barrel is to have the barrel turned down to .75" from the muzzle to about 1.5" back from it.

Then you can mount one of the many height adjustable sights from Centra, RPA, Sinclair, Superior Shooting Systems, Scott Riles, etc. They were designed for Fullbore, but there is no reason they will not work for smallbore.
Martin Catley

Sight Riser

Post by Martin Catley »

I was in a similar position with a 1413 when I purchased a new Centra fore sight,it was easily sorted by purchasing a 8mm riser for the rear sight as the Centra was about that much higher than the old style fore sight.Hope this may help,do some measuring before
purchase though.

Martin

Post by Guest »

Target terror,

I think Anschutz did make a version of the newer canting fore-sight to fit older 14-18xx barrels. I think it might be easier to use an old fore-sight and a spirit level to monitor cant.

I didn't mention bloop tubes in relation to barrel grooves, just that 19xx and 20xx Anschutz rifles have a dovetailed barrel (made a little wider to lift the sight) rather than a block.

Although yes, most tubes that I have seen grooves cut into the barrel rather than a block (though not all). I use a grooved 12" tube on my Anschutz 1613. The fellow that made it will cut any size grooves you want, I chose old-style (14xx-18xx Anschutz grooves) so that I could continue to use my old-style rasier blocks.

The makers name is Barry Nesom, however he lives and works in Yorkshire, England. I din't know if that's much use for you,
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

You really need to get one of these foresights: http://www.stallingsmachine.com/.

I looked through one yesterday at a fullbore match and it was simply shocking how clear and sharp the target looks from 600 yards away. After looking through this 30 mm sight, looking through the 18 mm unit on my TR was like looking through a straw. They are not cheap, but their performance is truly unbelievable and, in my opinion, worth every penny.

They will definitely be going on both my fullbore and smallbore prone rifles.