Anschütz LG 380 Match lubing points

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

cassidy

Anschütz LG 380 Match lubing points

Post by cassidy »

I have a question on where the contact/bearing areas are between the inner moving part of the 380's action and its outer fixed casing.
Does anyone know where and how often to lubricate these bearing areas and which lube to use ? Are there any opinions on what makes this rifle possibly less attractive to buy second hand than any of the other spring action "classics" ?

Thanks so much,

Cassidy
peepsight

LG-380

Post by peepsight »

Hi Cassidy

What a great rifle, i did it justice way back and scored 380 ex 400.

The LG-380 took the FWB 300-S principle but kept the sight base stationary as it was the barrel and inner action that moved back on firing.

The barrel and action ran in synthetic bearing that basically ran dry. However, they were prone to wearing and the zero point would change from shot to shot. To test for wear, bench test for one whole groups. Fire 10 shots and check the size of the group.

As for lubrication, the thinnest of smears is anough on the bearings but it must be an acid free low viscosity synthetic grease such as is supplied with FWB weapons.

Some time ago Anschutz put out a statement, trade only, that they were not supplying any more spares for this model

I found that a strip down and de grease with a suitable solvent then a re lube kept the rifle in top form.

If the sliding bearings are worn, check out your favourite gun smith to see if new bearings could be made and fitted.

Peepsight
cassidy

Post by cassidy »

Thanks a lot, peepsight !
Does the lubing necessitate dismantling or are there any access points for the bearings ?
TIA,

Cassidy
peepsight

LG-380

Post by peepsight »

Hi Cassidy

It depends, If the gun has been used for thousands of shots and has never been serviced, it is wise to remove the barrel/action from the main body and thoroughly clean the sliding bearing surfaces with a solvent.

Bits of grit and dirt can get embedded into the synthetic bearings so a really good clean of all interface parts then a lube is what you should do.

I don't really recommend lubing unless you have cleaned first.
Just lube on re assembly and that should last you at least 20,000 shots.

Regards

Peepsight
cassidy

Post by cassidy »

Thanks peepsight, but how can one separate the inner barrel & action from the outer, in order to reach the bearings ?
TIA, Cassidy
peepsight

LG-380

Post by peepsight »

Its too complicated to try and explain by post, unless you can figure it out yourself. Other than that look at the hand books exploded drawing or get a gunsmith to look at it.

Any gun smith that has experience stripping down the old FWB 300-S should find the LG-380 similar.

Thats the best i can suggest.

Peepsight
cassidy

lg 380

Post by cassidy »

Thanks Peepsight. I was afraid that this one would be much more difficult than a 300 to strip.
Are there any sites dealing with stripping the 380 ?
Any pointers to further info like "handbooks" ?

Thanks so much,

Cass
peepsight

LG-380

Post by peepsight »

Hi cassidy

I suggest you e mail Anschutz, and explain your problems. They are usually very helpful. Ask them for diagrams or details of how to carry out the work you want to do and also ask if they can give it in English?
Whenever i have e mailed them i get a good response back in good English.
I have lost their e mail address but google will find it or go into their web site and find service.

That's the best i can suggest.

Peepsight
peepsight

LG-380

Post by peepsight »

Hi cassidy

I suggest you e mail Anschutz, and explain your problems. They are usually very helpful. Ask them for diagrams or details of how to carry out the work you want to do and also ask if they can give it in English?
I have lost their e mail address but google will find it or go into their web site and find service.

Peepsight
peepsight

LG-380

Post by peepsight »

Hi cassidy

Peepsight
cassidy

lg 380

Post by cassidy »

A big and triple "merci", Peepsight. As yet I have no probs since I don't own one yet. The info asked was meant to help in deciding whether or not to buy one. German writings classify this one as the most accurate but somewhat brittle of the spring piston match rifles.
Take care,

Cass
peepsight

LG-380

Post by peepsight »

Hi cassidy

No Probs, what i will say is that in my opinion, the LG-380 was the most accurate spring/piston match air rifle i ever used and i managed to shoot a 380 ex 400 with it. It was a great day for me as i scored its match designation '380'

If you find one in good condition, go for it but i do suggest you bench it to check its grouping is consistant.

Peepsight