LG30 Advice Needed

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

atomicbrh

LG30 Advice Needed

Post by atomicbrh »

My 15 year old son needs an inexpensive dual purpose air rifle. The rifle's primary purpose will be to mount a high quality scope and shoot NRA Silhouette Air Rifle competition most of the year. Then for a few short months during the Winter put the peep sight set back on and shoot ISSF and NRA 3 position indoors. We already have a scuba tank.

The LG30 is priced right with the sight set included. I am not familiar with the Walther LG30 loading lever. Will the loading lever interfere with a low mounted 24 power Target scope that has tall target turrets or does the loading lever operate to the side like a Anschutz 8002? My son is very tall and thin. Is the LG30 Universal long enough for a kid that is 6 foot, 2 inches tall with long arms? Is the receiver grooved in both the front and back to ease scope ring mounting like a Hammerli? Is the Walther LG30 just a version of the Hammerli AR30? What if any problems do you know of with the LG30? What is the Warranty Service and parts availability like if we have any problems? How good is the accuracy and the trigger?

Any advice would be appreciated since there is not a dealer within driving distance to examine this rifle.

Bobby R. Huddleston
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I don't know the rules of silhouette but if the rules would permit I would go for a used Anschutz 2002. These are very easy to scope and very tried and true. Not a whole lot of price difference either.
atomicbrh

Post by atomicbrh »

The Anschutz 2002CA fits within NRA Silhouette rules easily as do any of the common 10 meter target rifles. I am also considering the used Anschutz 2002CA route but the trouble is finding one with an offset or (?)shortened loading lever to prevent the lever from hitting the scope, rings, or windage target turret. Does anyone know how much the cost would be to change out the loading lever and if the parts to do this are readily available for the 2002CA?

Bobby R. Huddleston
J.Hoes

Post by J.Hoes »

Anschutz used to make model 2020 & 2025, specifically high powered airrifles. (15 - 20 joule). The loading lever was changed for use with a scope. Some time ago I found attached picture on the net, probably a Dutch Field Target forum. From memory the lever would cost some 80 Euro, interchangability unknown.

Regards Hans
Attachments
post-26-1140427869.jpg
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Bobby,
Saw the LG30 at the NRA meeting, has a "side swing" loading lever that will clear a scope. The adjustments for stock length and cheek height are well within that needed for a 6'2'' body frame. The trigger is similar to the 300xt trigger, with all of adjustability needed for any size hand.

It has the same barrel as the xt, and should be an excellent rifle. Our club has 8 of the xt's, and they are shot a lot (shot about 30,000 times this last indoor season) and have had not the first problem.

J.C.Miller
www.cipshooters.org
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have an Anschutz 2002 that came with both levers. One is for scope mounting. It works fine and is probably still available from Anschutz.