Another one bites the dust

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

mikeschroeder

Another one bites the dust

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

One of the other Sedgwick County coaches sent me this:

http://umkckangaroos.cstv.com/sports/c- ... 07aab.html

No more UMKC rifle team.

Mike
Wichita KS
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

i just got that in an e-mail from my coach. i can't believe this...
brvirell

Post by brvirell »

Wow. This comes as a grave dissapointment to me. I am currently in the process of trying to get a smallbore club started at my university and wonder if something like this will happen to us, where school regents and $ doners force school administrations to shut down programs because of their political beleifs.
Our club was accepted by multiple offices and the unviersities insurance company on monday. Then on tuesday the tragety in va happend, and now our schools admin has stoped our official acceptance and the admin will now discuss whether they want to support a club where there is firing of weapons, eventhouth we aren't going to be doing it on campus but at a local range.
brvirell

Post by brvirell »

Wow. This comes as a grave dissapointment to me. I am currently in the process of trying to get a smallbore club started at my university and wonder if something like this will happen to us, where school regents and $ doners force school administrations to shut down programs because of their political beleifs.
Our club was accepted by multiple offices and the unviersities insurance company on monday. Then on tuesday the tragety in va happend, and now our schools admin has stoped our official acceptance and the admin will now discuss whether they want to support a club where there is firing of weapons, eventhouth we aren't going to be doing it on campus but at a local range.
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

brvirell wrote:Wow. This comes as a grave dissapointment to me. I am currently in the process of trying to get a smallbore club started at my university and wonder if something like this will happen to us, where school regents and $ doners force school administrations to shut down programs because of their political beleifs.
that's really too bad. i don't think this is the type of situation that we can protest and petition like xavier because it sounds like it's a done deal. out with rifle, in with soccer and baseball. i just don't get how they couldn't keep it too. it's not like it costs that much... i don't know
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Its not just there, our student air club just finished the NRA Collegiate Sectional ranked 3rd in the nation, and yesterday I was told they are closing our air rifle range, and "just can't find any other room for you to use."

Not sure what we"ll do but "illegitimus non tatum carborundum"

Joe

www.cipshooters.org
WRC

Post by WRC »

NOOOO!!! Not your program too?!? Damn. But students are still allowed to beat themselves into head, spinal, et al injuries for football. Makes perfect sense where the dollars are: the program stays, no matter what the price. You can't get that private range built fast enough. PL
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

isuguncoach wrote:Its not just there, our student air club just finished the NRA Collegiate Sectional ranked 3rd in the nation, and yesterday I was told they are closing our air rifle range, and "just can't find any other room for you to use."
www.cipshooters.org
Hi Joe

Did they close the ISU Air Rifle Club only, or your whole operation?

Mike
Wichita KS
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Didn't make the club foldup, at least I haven't heard that, but it is very clear that there is no room available, and there will not be room made even for a temporary range. We are trying to build a smallbore/air rifle range for use by everyone, but fundraising and organization are just getting started.

It is difficult to deal with the issue, when there is no discussion on that issue, the decision is made (by someone, nobody will say whom) now go on you way and don't ask questions.

J.C.Miller
www.cipshooters.org
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

HI again

O.K., your signon is isuguncoach, which I'm guessing is Illinois State University Gun Coarch. Sooooo, the NRA had the national Air Rifle championships there two (three?) years ago. We (Sedgwick County Kansas) sent a team to that one. They're willing to take the $ to host an event, but not willing to allow their own students to do the same thing?

yep, you got bit by a bureaucrat.

Mike
Wichita KS
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Mike, your starting to understand the environment here in Illinois. Maybe its the same all over, but just more blatant in the Illinois system. I mean we do have years of Chicago running the state, trying to outlaw every gun. We even had legislation introduce to outlaw air guns in the entire state. Now theres a deadly weapon used everywhere by criminals.

J. Miller
www.cipshooters.org
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I grew up in Raymond Illinois, home of the only rest stop on I-55 south of Springfield. I ate at Steak N Shake when all they had were car hops.

Mike
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Mike,

There are a few more rest stops there, but not many. There is a great junior air club in Carlinville. We have two more getting started. One at SIU-Edwardsville, and a junior club at Lincoln. So some good things are happening here, but it really depends on how long we can stay "under the radar". I haven't talked to the folks at SIU-E since this whole thing happened.

Joe

www.cipshooters.org