barrel lengths

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

barrel lengths

Post by Guest »

What are the advantages or disadvantages to the various lengths of barrels on the Anschutz 2013.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Well the shorter barrel might help you in standing because the bullet spends less time in the barrel. Whatever wobble in your hold you have may to some extent be nullified.

The longer barrel put more weight out in the front it may or may not help with grouping, a guy on my team has the shorter barrel, his test target is smaller then mine (I have the full barrel) but if you like more weight out in front it may be the way to go.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will expand on some of the stuff that I mentioned.

-Brian-
Old Grouch

Post by Old Grouch »

In smallbore, barrel time for 26 in. is about 2.5 milliseconds (0.0025) so a change in length won't really do much for you in terms of wobble in hold. Some short barrels shoot well, some do not. Ditto any length. It does affect hold, by changing balance point. That's a personal choice. In terms of accuracy, I have not seen any difference. Bullet velocity is a bit higher on shorter barrels, other things being equal.