A cheap, though good smallbore rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

A cheap, though good smallbore rifle?

Post by Guest »

Alright, I'm getting ready to invest in my first smallbore rifle, but I'm not exactly sure what would be the best to get..

Now, I don't have an excessive amount of money to spend on it, so I'm looking for something cheaper, but will stil perform well, if such a thing exist?

Also, I've been shooting smallbore for roughly two years with rifles that were provided by clubs and such, so I'm not new to shooting or anything.
Snookie

Post by Snookie »

By the way, I created this thread, fogot to login, sorry.
RyanIntershoot

Post by RyanIntershoot »

You won't go wrong with a second hand Anschutz.

Walther and FWB are fine too but parts always seem a little easier to find for Anschutz

I have a Match 54 thats 30+ years old and still shoots well.

A Match 64 or an 1813 / 1913 would be better but more expensive.

Walther KK200 a good rifle too.
TomN

Post by TomN »

You might also consider a Winchester 52, but only if it comes stocked for position shooting. They are good, accurate rifles and parts are abundant, but the standard prone stocks that most of them came with (the international version of the 52D excluded) are absolutely awful for position shooting. In fact, I would put more emphasis on the stock rather than the action for a beginning shooter. Most of your early improvement will come in perfecting your positions and technique, and you'll need a rifle with at least a few adjustments.

Smallbore rifle generally don't "wear out," and anything that has not been abused should serve you well.
Snookie

Post by Snookie »

RyanIntershoot wrote:You won't go wrong with a second hand Anschutz.

Walther and FWB are fine too but parts always seem a little easier to find for Anschutz

I have a Match 54 thats 30+ years old and still shoots well.

A Match 64 or an 1813 / 1913 would be better but more expensive.

Walther KK200 a good rifle too.
Yeah, a Anschutz is what I wanna' get.. Would any second hand Anschutz be find, or is there certian kinds that I should lean towards?

And how much would one of these rifles cost me, would you say?

Also, where would I find second hand rifles? Because I'm having troubles just finding them.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

The sponsor of this site, Pilkington Competition Equipment, has a nice used Anschutz 1807 for $875. See: http://pilkguns.com/usedguns.shtml
RFC

Post by RFC »

Another couple of options, which many of the purists might disagree with, are the CZ American or Varmint with a little Eric trigger tweak, a Biathlon Basic, or a Russian CM. All can be had for less than $400 and provide very accurate shooting.

Check these out on rimfirecentral.com.
Snookie

Post by Snookie »

Thanks, I'll look into those.

Any further information would be much appreciated.
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

Well, what kind of smallbore shooting do you do. For things like benchrest competitions you can participate in sporter classes with some really cheap rifles. My family purchased a Sako rifle that had been HEAVILY free floated but it shoots very well and we could use it for squirrel hunting if we wanted. It was only 700 dollars and in practically brand new condition. Yet, as was previously stated, smallbore barrels usually don't "wear out" so a used gun would probably be fine. Depending on where you buy the rifle, they may have a range they let you shoot the rifle on to test it a little, but you'll probably have to buy the ammo you shoot from that store.
Snookie

Post by Snookie »

WaltherWill wrote:Well, what kind of smallbore shooting do you do. For things like benchrest competitions you can participate in sporter classes with some really cheap rifles. My family purchased a Sako rifle that had been HEAVILY free floated but it shoots very well and we could use it for squirrel hunting if we wanted. It was only 700 dollars and in practically brand new condition. Yet, as was previously stated, smallbore barrels usually don't "wear out" so a used gun would probably be fine. Depending on where you buy the rifle, they may have a range they let you shoot the rifle on to test it a little, but you'll probably have to buy the ammo you shoot from that store.
I shoot Prone and 3P, if that's what you're asking?

Post by Guest »

Take a looj at Thad Scotts sight he has several used Annies as wellas a few others. Most are listed under #700.
R.Brown

Post by R.Brown »

If you are looking for a target rifle, go with an Anschutz, you won't go wrong. They are fairly common and are easy to get parts for so you will have no trouble selling it when you move onto more advanced rifles. They also are fitted with standard rails and groves ect, so you can fit nearly any make of sight or handstop to them and are not restricted to anschutz accessories. (Our club Walthers have an odd size rail which make it difficult to fitt other brands to them.) I have always been lead to believe that Match 54's are better than the 64's but do not know if there is any truth behind it. I have just got my first rifle as well and have gone for a 1907. Have a look around when you are on the range or at a competition and see what other people are using, that should give you a good indication of what is popular.

Post by Guest »

The CMP has Kimber model 84's for $600+22.95 for shipping. These come with sights and a hand stop.
Look under rifle sales at www.odcmp.com.