Which pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
booful

Which pistol?

Post by booful »

Hi people,

I'm shooting 10m AP. I'm considering getting my own pistol, and I've shortened my list to the following:

1) Steyr LP10
2) Anschutz LP@
3) Morini CM 162EI
4) FWB P44

Is there anything that I should look out for that swings the balance in favour of one particular pistol?

I'm very attracted to the Morini's electronic trigger, but I know that Steyr's pistols have more grip adjustability. And before anyone comes out with the running gag of Steyr coming out with an electronic trigger version of the LP10... let's focus on what is here for now, shall we?

Thanks (:
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Boo - this topic has been discussed at length on many different prior threads. Use the search tool to find threads on each of the pistols you're looking at.

Just as an FYI, you've narrowed your list to the point where the answers you'll get here will be almost totally uniform. They're all great airguns. Try before you buy. Pick the one you like best. It really IS that simple.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Boy thats really is narrowing it down, it looks like you narrowed the list of top air pistols down by one (the Walther 300 Xt). Like Mark said if you use the search function you'll find lots on all of those pistols.

Even the most often used line that is told to people "get the one that feels best" is not really all that correct because most of these pistols can be adjusted (ie triggers and weight) or the grips modified (or changed) to make the pistol fit the shooter. Buest thing if possible is to shot some and see which you like (remembering that somethings can be adjusted (most people won't let you make major adjustments on their pistol).

Other things to look at are the availability in your area and the likelihood of support in the chance you should need it.
kalz

Matchguns MG1 E with electronic trigger

Post by kalz »

The brand new MG1 E has the most effective electronic trigger today on the market, the grip is completely free to move in all directions, the battery is a commercial battery of 12 V, the electronic card is in the triggerguard in the middle of the pistol and the trigger path is less than 2/1000 mm.
You should have to try it !!!
Attachments
MG1E.pdf
Picture of the pistol
(362.64 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Nano

Re: Matchguns MG1 E with electronic trigger

Post by Nano »

kalz wrote:The brand new MG1 E has the most effective electronic trigger today on the market, the grip is completely free to move in all directions, the battery is a commercial battery of 12 V, the electronic card is in the triggerguard in the middle of the pistol and the trigger path is less than 2/1000 mm.
You should have to try it !!!
Kalz: Did MG1E have to use a screwdriver to click the impact point of the pellet like the morini pistols? or you can make adjustments with hand without tools?

Nano
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I'm not saying any more unpleasant things about Matchguns, but the sight adjustment is about as well (read: comfortable and clearly marked) engineered as the electronic trigger... And you have to like a front heavy AP to be happy with MG1E - they put about 50gr of surplus alu around the electronics...
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

You have listed four of the top air pistols and no one of your choices is arguably superior to the others, nor is one a dog. You need to study the features and dimensions of each and decide which are most important to you. The Steyr LP10 and Anschutz LP@ are essentially the same gun and differ only in cosmetics such as barrel length/shroud and how the balance weights attach. They are made by the same company. The FWB P44 is the newest of the four, I believe, and therefore has less service history to rely on. When I was in your situation I had no access to any top air pistols so I was very influenced by which one(s) provided the most adjustments in grip, trigger, etc. I also favored one with a shorter barrel and sight radius, so I chose the Anschutz LP@ Junior (now Light). All of your choices are represented on this forum, so if you have some specific questions I am sure someone will help you.
cdf

Post by cdf »

Assuming that all the horror stories cant be unfounded , I think I would stay away from Matchguns , service by the other major players is pretty well understood . None of the models you have listed are anything but top level examples of the art , any will serve you well '

Chris
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Personally, I would eliminate the Anschutz LP@ its mostly made from lp10 parts and yet not an lp 10 - if you have a good reason put it back in.

P44 New, promising yet unproven at the word cup level.

Morini CM 162EI, Comparativey Old technology but very successfully ad has won a lot of medal and will continue to do so. The electronic trigger has a big fan club.

LP10 Not as new as the P44, and used in ever increasing number at the top end with several shooters moving from the mroini eg Tan Zongliang. It seems noticeable that the women shooter are moving first and in larger numbers. Though the LP1 is still present and correct. As far a medal go the LP10 aperas to have the edge over morini at the moment.

To be honest all of these can put 5 round on top of each other in a vice!

For my $0.02 you have two choices

1) go with the medals
2) try each and see which suits you

Unfortunately number 2 is not always possible.

remember just because a world champion can get 10 10s with their gun does not necessarily mean they will be able to do it with another. - they have the gun that suits them.

If you want an electronic trigger then there is really only once choice for a reliable competition gun. A gun that breaks down or has a reputation for doing so, will not provide you with the confidence you need in competition

Lastly, it has been pointed out to me that the lp10 suits larger hands and the 163 smaller hands. I can say i have ever tested this out for my self but that what the Welsh squad thinks.

Julian