Junior Shooting Camps & Coach School in Hawaii

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

RangeMom

Junior Shooting Camps & Coach School in Hawaii

Post by RangeMom »

Are you ready to take the next step in shooting sports?
The training you need will be in Hawaii, this summer…

The National Advanced Junior Shooting Camp
August 11-18, 2007

Intermediate Junior Shooting Camp (Precision Air Only)
Aug 10-12

Coach School (Appointed - Level 1 - Smallbore and Air Rifle)
Aug 6-9 (evenings)

Would you like to improve your shooting technique, raise your scores, and expand your knowledge of the sport? Would you like to bring home the state championship medal, a national ranking, and a college shooting scholarship? Are there Olympic dreams in your future…?

The National Advanced Junior Shooting Camp is open to the top applicants selected by the National Coach Trainer. It is a premier training event for student athletes preparing for college, national, and international Olympic style shooting. Handpicked National Coach Development Staff and invited experts provide the teaching expertise. Previously only taught in Minnesota and Vermont, available in Hawaii this year.

Precision Air Rifle and Smallbore Rifle experience is required. The camp applications for student marksmen aged 14 – 20 are now available at the NRA website http://www.nrahq.org/education/training ... _camps.asp
and the US Olympic Committee Press Box web site http://www.usocpressbox.org . Applications are due in May.

The Hawaii shooting community has raised additional funds to provide a $30 scholarship for each camper attending in Hawaii to reduce the cost of camp fees. It’s our way of saying Aloha and encouraging you to excel in shooting sports. Advanced camp will now cost $320, Intermediate camp will cost $120 and Coach course fees are $135.

For more information contact Hawaii Friends of NRA at dawnhorn@lava.net or call Dawn Horn at (808) 225-7873.
TWP

Post by TWP »

My daughter wanted to go to that camp.

I laughed.
RangeMom

Junior Shooting Camp

Post by RangeMom »

Aloha TWP,

We are serious. This is the same shoot until you drop, take classes all evening, win a duckie, and never ever leave your notebook lying around camp that they put on in Minnesota and Vermont. The Camp Director is Paul Davis - same guy who runs the Minnesota camp.

Please do not discourage your daughter or any other junior shooter from attending these camps. I took my daughter and her teammate to the National Advanced Junior Shooting Camp in Minnesota two years ago. Now both girls are shooting as freshmen on top ten college varsity rifle teams on athletic scholarships.

Since you are in Virginia, the Vermont camp is probably the most economical for your daughter to attend if the dates do not conflict with her summer school school or other activities. Our camp makes sense for kids in the west coast states (check out the summer specials to Hawaii on ATA) or kids who have other commitments in June and July.

We are going to great lengths to make sure that the camp experience in Hawaii will meet every standard of the other two camp locations. I'm sure there will be two differences, though... we will be camping in Outrigger Hotel rooms, and our graduation ceremony luau will be at Kailua Beach.

Respectfully,

Dawn R. Horn
Hawaii Friends of NRA
Shooting Camp Coordinator
TWP

Post by TWP »

Dawn,

My daughter went to the Vermont camp last summer.

Probably going again this summer.

The Advanced Junior Camps are great. And I know some of the folks flying out there to help put on your camp.

I laughed at my daughter for wanting to fly to Hawaii for a Shooting camp.

She just wants to go to Hawaii.

Problem is if she goes to Hawaii, the rest of the family wants to go to. That means 6 plane tickets plus hotel rooms.
RangeMom

Hawaii Shooting camps

Post by RangeMom »

Aloha TWP,

Outrigger Hotels will be extending a special discount room rate for families of junior shooters attending the camp. We fully expected that any junior campers who attended from the mainland would have a family entourage and would probably be staying a couple extra days to see the islands.

Come'on, Hawaii is worth it! Besides, think how much fun you will be having while she is busting her buns shooting. Time for a garage sale, spring car wash,... you can do it!

Dawn
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Plus its really good to learn to shoot in the heat and Humidity.
PUN'08

Humidity?

Post by PUN'08 »

Yes, well prepared to shoot in heat and humidity like you find at Ft. Benning in the summer for USAS Nationals...

They will be using the range at my school for the air rifle and the range has air conditioning.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Richard
What many people including me did not know is Hawaii does not have that high a humidity. I grew up there and when I first started working we used to complain about the humidity. The partner in the office told us it was nothing compared to where he grew up in the South.

Right now the weather channel shows 62% humidity at 79F in Hilo, HI. Honolulu is raining, so any humidity numbers there will be skewed. If you live in an arid climate Hawaii will feel humid, but Disney World is worse.

Aloha
Gary
TWP

Post by TWP »

Richard H wrote:Plus its really good to learn to shoot in the heat and Humidity.
No problem with that here in VA. Plenty of heat and humidity. WE shoot outdoors during the summer, and our air rifle range has no AC in it.