What age can I start my kids on AP?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

riskmanager

What age can I start my kids on AP?

Post by riskmanager »

I'm an avid AP shooter and my kids see me going down to my basement to shoot 10 meter AP all the time. They're always asking me if they can shoot, but I'm always telling them they're too young. What is that right age? I know a mature, responsible child is the key but when can I say yes?

* Also, if I do allow the kids to shoot. What do people think about the Steyr LP2 junior? Thanks.
Richard H

Re: What age can I start my kids on AP?

Post by Richard H »

riskmanager wrote:I'm an avid AP shooter and my kids see me going down to my basement to shoot 10 meter AP all the time. They're always asking me if they can shoot, but I'm always telling them they're too young. What is that right age? I know a mature, responsible child is the key but when can I say yes?

* Also, if I do allow the kids to shoot. What do people think about the Steyr LP2 junior? Thanks.
You sort of answered your own question "a mature, responsible child is the key" if they are really young you'd probably want to start them out from a supported position from there they can learn sight picture and trigger control. When they are old enough and strong enough to support the AP they can shoot free of a rest.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

If they are asking, they are ready. If you don't get them started they will soon be in soccor, baseball, or everyother sport and lost to shooting for a long time.

Check out the Progressive Pistol Program (works up through supported position depending on age), and don't force them to shoot when they don't want to.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

In my club we start training youngsters from about 8 years old. Like others said though it really depends on when they have the maturity to handle a gun and the strength. The LP2 junior (or compact) is a great gun, I want to get one for the club but we probably don't have the funds for it.

Rob.
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Have seen 8 year olds with a very slender build shooting AP with the Progressive Pistol program, and everyone (coach, parent, and child) were very excited about the success.

I agree with a previous post, if they are asking to get involved, let them try it, and make sure it is a positive experience.
wrc

Post by wrc »

Also, I think the right time, if YOU are the one who will teach them, is when you have enough time to do it patiently and give them your full attention. With pistol, it may be that you will want to supervise them individually, in individual sessions. (ie: not both at once). [sorry if this is obvious to you; but worth adding to the collective wisdom.]
Snookie

Post by Snookie »

At my club the min. age is 12, although my younger brother was able to slip by at 10.

Their physical strength makes a difference too, when it comes to rifles anyhow, unless it's a light rifle.
.donthc

Post by .donthc »

lp2 compact is a great gun for youngsters aged 14 and below. its one of the lightest gun around.

they usually don't have the strength to carry a full-length version.
marionq

Post by marionq »

Hi, here in Perth, Australia and perfect age for AP is 9 years of kids! And I am agreed with it!
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

enthusiasm and parent-child relationships are extremely important. the fact that the kids want to do something with you, anything, with a parent is cause for celebration. take advantage of the opportunity to build the relationship and fun of doing something together... whether it's AP, canoeing, baseball, whatever... in later days, you'll reminisce and be glad you did !!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
j-team

Post by j-team »

riskmanager wrote:Also, if I do allow the kids to shoot. What do people think about the Steyr LP2 junior? Thanks.
My daughter started when she was 11 with a Steyr LP2 compact, we still have it but she doesn't use it much now she is 15...

They are a great choice, for a young shooter, a bit loud though (louder than the long version), so make sure they use ear muffs. The short cylinders only get about 100 shots so make sure they are full at the start of a match.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

This is the PPP stand I made.
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached. Whoops, I guess you don't get to see it.

It is set up on the 5M line. Steve Faught provided the drawing with suggestions on materials to use to keep the price reasonable. The parts can be purchased for less than $50. It provides vertical support to help the young shooter support the weight of the airgun. The counterweight can be reduced as they develop the muscle strength, stamina and technique. It is easier to step out to the garage and shoot 20 - 100 pellets then it is to commit an hour+ to drive to the range.

The PPP rulebook is here:
http://www.usashooting.org/membership/y ... outhpistol