Direction of sun and changing POI

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Alber B

Direction of sun and changing POI

Post by Alber B »

I saw a drawing somewhere of the sun shining from the left on a target, stating that the lefthand side edge of the black would be 'covered' or changed to a more 'white' part, while the part on the righthand side was not effected.
Can someone give a sientific explenation for this phenomina?

Albert B
The Netyherlands
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

I think the question is really, "What is the effect of lighting on point of impact?" In my experience with AP, I have found that a dark area near the target will "pull" the point of aim toward it. I think the effect is caused by the apparent width of the gap between front sight blade and rear notch needing to be wider toward the dark area.

What I started doing once I recognized that this happens is to find a uniformly lit area near the target for lining-up my front and rear sights and then -- concentrating only on the front sight -- moving to the bullseye.

I only shoot iron sights with a rifle at 100 to 600 yards and then with a peep sight -- I have not observed the same effect (so far) but would always be wary of strong lighting (or background) variations around the target.

Best,

Joe