Grip Angle

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jjgun

Grip Angle

Post by jjgun »

I purchased a used Hammerli SP20 six months ago. Overall I like the gun and shoot it well. However, the grip angle of the SP20 puts a lot of stress on a chronic bad shoulder I have. This makes the shoulder sore which results in time off from the range. I'd like to find another pistol with a lower grip angle. It's hard to tell from pictures online and the only similar style pistols people use locally are either the Hammerli or the Walther GSP. Most shoot High Standards or S&W Mod 41. Any comments regarding other models and the grip angle compared to the SP20 would be greatly appreciated........JJ
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

Morini CM22 can be had with a straight grip, and its a great gun!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Get the grip adjusted then, would seem to be a logical suggestion.

Rob.
dflast

Post by dflast »

jj

The Feinwerkbau AW93 has the most vertical grip of the Europeans. Scott's got a picture at Pilkguns.com in the sport pistol listing.

- David
jjgun

Grip Angle

Post by jjgun »

Rob, the SP20 has the all-in-one molded plastic grip, trigger guard, and magazine holder. I have not seen any replacement assemblies and don't see an easy modification. If you're aware of anything, I'd be interested. Thanks for the response..............JJ
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Ring ( http://www.formgriffe.de ) do grips for the sp20 but the state "(wood grip adapter necessary)" where you get one of these and weather it would help or offer more flexibility with angle i don't know. They probably however do.

Julian
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:....for the sp20 but the state "(wood grip adapter necessary)" where you get one of these and weather it would help or offer more flexibility with angle i don't know.
I believe the SP20 was/is available with either the moulded integral grip or a separate wooden grip. From memory the frames are different and cannot be converted, only swapped.

Don't treat this as gospel as I might be wrong.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

David Levene wrote: I believe the SP20 was/is available with either the moulded integral grip or a separate wooden grip. From memory the frames are different and cannot be converted, only swapped.

Don't treat this as gospel as I might be wrong.
David, you correct about the two versions

See picture at : http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.php?t ... p20red.jpg

But I can comment on differences in the frame

Julian
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

jjgun, You do not actually mention the way you want to take the grip angle, either way, both modifications are possible on both wood and carbon based frames. The wood/carbon frames can be used on same pistol but the wood grip parts not interchangable.
Hammerli or Morini grip paste can be used.
Morini grip is available by default dropped wrist but a less dropped wrist is also marketed (not sure if actual Morini or 3rd party? but nice either way!).
change to grip angle may require skilled grip maker/craftsman but the good thing about the paste is that you can keep working on it and the cost of the frames not stunningly high. If you have a .32, you may find out why!
Enjoy your shooting.
Paul +4h GMT at moment!
jjgun

Grip Angle

Post by jjgun »

Guys,
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful. I should have clarified that I need to take the angle more towards the direction of a 1911. Not that far, but that direction. I know that's going away from where i should be, but if it means shooting or not shooting, I'll make that sacrifice. I was able to manage while shooting Bullseye with an UltraDot, but when I took the dot off to start practicing for a Standard Pistol match my shoulder was trash after one practice. Must be that I had to raise the pistol higher for the iron sights and with the wrist bent so far downward I just got in a position the shoulder didn't like. Thanks again for the info. I will follow up on it....JJ
JulianY

Re: Grip Angle

Post by JulianY »

jjgun wrote:Guys,
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful. I should have clarified that I need to take the angle more towards the direction of a 1911. Not that far, but that direction. I know that's going away from where i should be, but if it means shooting or not shooting, I'll make that sacrifice. I was able to manage while shooting Bullseye with an UltraDot, but when I took the dot off to start practicing for a Standard Pistol match my shoulder was trash after one practice. Must be that I had to raise the pistol higher for the iron sights and with the wrist bent so far downward I just got in a position the shoulder didn't like. Thanks again for the info. I will follow up on it....JJ
Per haps you shold try / consider an AW93 suposed to be 1911 like

jy
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Contact Larry Carter or go to his site and look at the rink grips---Most European Target Pistols with the exception of the AW93 have grips with that angle---I might look into the Rink grips for your solution. They will find a solution for you.
Walter Young

Post by Walter Young »

The GSP is much more upright than the AW93.

A good friend got a Hammerli brand upright grip from Larry Carter, so they do exist.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Forget about Rink. He does nice grips, but he's an ex FP shooter and hangs that wrist as low as possible - which is obviously not the jjgun wants to go. A nice, reliable used pistol for this situation would be a last series 280, IMHO.