4-H Rules - Air Rifle Silhouette

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jhmartin

4-H Rules - Air Rifle Silhouette

Post by jhmartin »

I wanted to post an email thread that I sent to the NRA reagarding the question of barrel weights in the Air Rifle Sporter category. Since the maximum weight of the rifle is 11 lbs, I had wanted to know if I could add barrel weights to our rifles. The answer is YES, as long as it does not exceed 11 lbs.
===========================
Subject: RE: Air Rifle Silhouette question.
To: "Joel Martin"

Mr. Martin,

The Silhouette Department Manager said that that should be fine as long as it does not exceed 11 lbs.

Thank you,
Silhouette Department

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:34 PM
To: Silhouette
Subject: Air Rifle Silhouette question.

regarding Rule 3.3(b):

Is it permissible to add barrel weights to a lighter rifle to bring up the
weight, as long as it does not exceed 11 lbs?

Thank You,
Joel Martin
Valencia County 4-H Shooting Sports

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I made this exact inquiry about AR silo and was told that if the barrel weight in question is not a factory option, you would have to move to open class. Better talk directly to Greg Connor about this to double check before going to a big match.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

It's always nice when the answers from a sanctioning body don't line up, but with their reply in my hand I feel safe.

My question is primarily geared towards the 4-H shoots ... especially the Nationals. They do not shoot classes anyway, and just have an 11 lb limit.

They use the rules, but do not sanction the match which would be difficult as they do allow what the NRA terms "Target" rifles in their match.

So I'd go by #1 ... the date of the query .. Mine was Mar 7 of this year
Then my #2 who gave the info .. the reply I got was from the silhouette dept.

If there is a conflict, then NRA should publish a rule update.

But as I said, since this is not a sanctioned match and the gun types are mixed, I'm not worried.

It would be interesting though to know the date and have the response of your query to them

JHM

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I think you're right that since it's 4-H, the NRA doesn't formally govern what goes on there. 4-H adopted the NRA rules so they wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel and apply their own interpretation.

I got my response in a phone call from Greg Connor, NRA Silhouette Director, on May 17, 2007.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Whew .... we got creamed this year on the silhouette match.

Nice weather on relay 1 .... slight breeze, but relays 2 & 3 the wind was howling. Oh well, them's the breaks ....

A huge congrats to all the shooters that were able to shoot in the teens and twenties on Thursday!