IZH 46M --sight width

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
coffeyhj

IZH 46M --sight width

Post by coffeyhj »

I am shooting an IZH 46M air pistol as well as a 0.22 and a 0.45.

The other two pistols offer much more visible sight

The back sight on the IZH is not much wider than the front sight and it is a real challenge to get a clear sight picture.

Should I just be learning to work with the narrower, tighter rear sight picture or is there a wider sight I can buy to address the problem?

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks
Torn Fibre

Post by Torn Fibre »

Hi

If you had your pistol from new then it would have come with two rear sight back plates each with two different sized notches plus three front sight posts again of varying widths. This gives you 12 possible arrangements to play around with.

TF
Torn Fibre

Post by Torn Fibre »

Hi again

The rear notches are as near a damn it: 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 & 4.0mm wide

The front post are 3.5, 4.0 & 4.5mm wide

HTH

TF
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Personally, I took the 2.5mm rear notch, a bench vice and a metal file and opened it up to about 8mm and use the 4.5mm front post with it.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would do like Sparks suggests. You should either buy or make a rearsight that suits you and not put up with something that doesn't.

Rob.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Whether or not it was the previous owner of my 46M---but I cannot release the damned slotted screws on the rear sight. The reason is the slotted screws themselves-- had the slots set so deep that when you apply a screw driver with extra effort they expand the slot against the threads---voila---screw doesn't move. Heat, WD-40, Kroil etc have not worked, I think the next attempt will be in the freezer. In the meanwhile I have started to carefully file the rear blade to increase the amount of light and reduced the front sight to the narrowest.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

RobStubbs wrote:I would do like Sparks suggests. You should either buy or make a rearsight that suits you and not put up with something that doesn't.

Rob.
Me too.
I use the front larger sight, and i have make a rearsight with a piece of floppy disk: the black plastic is easy to cut with cutter. The hole for screw are maked using a pointed small screw driver. I'm using it about 2 weeks and seems ok.

To replace it i'm wondering if can be used the rearsight blade of fas 609.
http://home.planet.nl/~bandamh/Schermereyland/AP609.jpg

Anyone can verify the size of fas609 rearsight window?
Thank you.
LukeP
coffeyhj

Post by coffeyhj »

Thank you
Will go looking for alternative sights

HJC
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Bob Riegl wrote:Whether or not it was the previous owner of my 46M---but I cannot release the damned slotted screws on the rear sight. The reason is the slotted screws themselves-- had the slots set so deep that when you apply a screw driver with extra effort they expand the slot against the threads---voila---screw doesn't move. Heat, WD-40, Kroil etc have not worked, I think the next attempt will be in the freezer. In the meanwhile I have started to carefully file the rear blade to increase the amount of light and reduced the front sight to the narrowest.
Bob, You need to turn those screws clockwise to loosen.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

DOH!!!! Oh really, I know the Russians love to use left hand threads---Thanks for the info---shows at 76 you are not too old to learn---Thanks Fred, you are now listed as a beneficiary in my will. I repeat---DOH!!!
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Bob, You're a lucky guy!! That's worth at least a bottle of scotch.

BTW, What's happening over at the Brookhaven range? The greenies manage to get it shut down?

Paul, ex-Oakdale inmate.
Torn Fibre

Post by Torn Fibre »

Bob Riegl wrote:DOH!!!! Oh really, I know the Russians love to use left hand threads---Thanks for the info---shows at 76 you are not too old to learn---Thanks Fred, you are now listed as a beneficiary in my will. I repeat---DOH!!!
Hi Bob

Actually just to be pedantic those threads are genuine drilled and tapped right handed ones but appear left handers as you are undoing the screws clockwise from the tail end and not the countersunk head end. This should really clarify matters ... I hope clear as mud now?

Is that worth a mention in your will too?

Cheers TF
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Torn Fibre wrote:
Bob Riegl wrote:DOH!!!! Oh really, I know the Russians love to use left hand threads---Thanks for the info---shows at 76 you are not too old to learn---Thanks Fred, you are now listed as a beneficiary in my will. I repeat---DOH!!!
Hi Bob

Actually just to be pedantic those threads are genuine drilled and tapped right handed ones but appear left handers as you are undoing the screws clockwise from the tail end and not the countersunk head end. This should really clarify matters ... I hope clear as mud now?
TF,
I decided not to confuse poor old Bob with a discussion of left hand/right hand threads; note I simply said turn clockwise to loosen :-)
Torn Fibre

Post by Torn Fibre »

Hi Fred

You're absolutely right and I should know better than attempt to confuse poor old Bob (hope this isn't taken as patronising). It is just my wicked sense of humour that often gets the better of me ;-)

Bet I won't get a mention in his will now ;-)
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Thanks for being kind to me Fred---as far as my UK buddy---you'll get yours one day, you are definitely so not in my will as Fred is---I will spend a few minutes thinking that screw business out until it makes sense to me. I am not as quick on the pick up as I was in my halcyon days--lefty-loosey;righty-tighty-----h--m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m?????
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

LukeP wrote: Me too.
I use the front larger sight, and i have make a rearsight with a piece of floppy disk: the black plastic is easy to cut with cutter. The hole for screw are maked using a pointed small screw driver. I'm using it about 2 weeks and seems ok...
News added: plastic sight is not good: it change position easy with normal pistol manage, i discovered it today on match ;(

Wondering if fas ap609 rearsight is suitable for izzy. What is the largest size of fas window rear sight's?

Thank you.
Bye.
LukeP
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Fred & Torn Fibre---I figured it out OK, wise guys---thanks.