MG2 plate screws ...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
WSmith

MG2 plate screws ...

Post by WSmith »

About six months ago I received a special order MG2 in all black. (Some of you may remember some of our discussion concerning the accuracy of an all black gun versus the current production blue model?) I've fired several thousand rounds through the pistol without any serious issues, although sometimes the intricate machanics of the gun make me hesitant to attempt an extensive cleaning.

It was during an extensive cleaning this afternoon that I noticed something unusual about the front allen screw, right behind the barrel shroud. On my gun, the plate is only held down by the short center screw and the two long allen screws in front of the rear sight assembly. The head of the forward allen screw actually "passes through" the plate, thereby holding down nothing.

Is this correct, ... or has the bottom fallen out of the allen screw hole?
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

The slide cover of the pistol should be held in place with 4 screws. 2 long ones back behind the hammer, one shorter one over the chamber area, and one near the muzzle.

The MG-2 had a habit of having these screws "shoot loose". As a result Matchguns started to machine the countersunk holes in the slide cover slightly deeper to allow the screws to have more threads engaged in the material below. When I sent my slide cover for repair they machined the countersunk holes in it a little deeper and the screws no longer back out under recoil. I suspect they may have gone a little too deep with your slide cover. The only "fix" is to have it replaced under warranty.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Yes, and to counter the loss of substance the newer pistols have thicker slide covers. The cover on the new pistols (unless they changed the shrouds, too, in the meantime) is not exactly flush with the barrel shroud. So I refused to have my old cover plate modified - what's the gain if the reamining cover material under the screws gets too thin? I'd rather have some more material up there and check the screws before every training.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I found a very small amount of Loc-Tite 222 compound on the screws prevented them from shooting loose before Matchguns modified my slide cover. And Loc-Tite 222 is service-removeable so I could remove the screws easily if I wished.