compare these 2 pistols?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dam8

compare these 2 pistols?

Post by dam8 »

IZH 46 ( not the M) and a fwb 65.
price is close, but how about weight, sight radius, accuracy, seal durability, cocking difficulty.
thanks guys!
Dave
rogerv

Post by rogerv »

I've owned two FWB 65's and a 90. None of them ever needed a repair except the electronic trigger on the 90. They were the best quality available at one time and are still excellent. I may buy another since I shot my personal best using one. They will hold their value far longer than the other gun. Whether you are comfortable shooting it is another question. Also, don't overlook the Model 80.
amonkey

Post by amonkey »

No experience with the IZH, but I shot a 65 for 2 or 3 years.
The 65 will last forever and shoot 10's just as long. The only problem I had with the 65 is that you can't dry fire it (without expelling air). But it is a solid gun and reliable.
Hope this helps.
alb

Post by alb »

Dave,

I've had an FWB-65 since the mid 80's. Initially, I had a problem with the trigger, but I sent it to Beeman's and they fixed it. It's worked great ever since.

I've never shot the IZH-46.

One thing that I should point out though. The FWB-65 is a spring-piston gun. It eliminates recoil by allowing the entire receiver unit to slide rearward on rails to counteract the action of the piston. While this eliminates recoil very effectively, it has the unfortunate side-effect that the trigger moves rearward as well, effectively creating a significant amount of overtravel.

I never shot it well enough for it to be a major concern, though.

The IZH is a single-stroke pneumatic, so it should not have this issue.

Regards,

Al B.
Nano

fwb vs izh

Post by Nano »

Dave:

it is difficult to even though compare both pistols, so that they are very similar, that one is old (FWB) and the other is modern (izh).
Both have a performance very similarity, if I have to decide between the two, would buy fwb to me only if this conserved very well, otherwise it would buy the Russian to me.

My first match pistola was a IZH46M, is a nice pistol.

Nano
Fred

Post by Fred »

There's some misinformation about the FWB above.
1. Never discharge a spring piston gun without a pellet in the barrel. Doing so will cause severe damage to the powerplant. While FWB's can tolerate a small amount of this "dry-firing", they too will eventually be damaged.
2. The FWB trigger does not move backwards on recoil. Only the top portion of the gun moves.

My opinion, FWIW, about the 2 guns in question. If you want an investment, buy the FWB. If you want to shoot, buy the IZH.

FredB
Nano

fwb vs izh

Post by Nano »

very good answer FredB, it is the conclution of the question.
Dam8, try to buy the IZH46M because the speed of the pellet are lower in the first model.

nano