rifle vise for ammo testing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

coolcruiser

rifle vise for ammo testing

Post by coolcruiser »

In "Ways of the Rifle" page 189, a test rig that has some movement is mentioned for holding the rifle while testing ammo. It is said to be available through Alexander Kutelin. A search on the web produced no meaningful results. Is anyone aware of this test rig and where one could be purchased? Perhaps there are other rigs availble to recommend...it is particularly desireable the rig have some movement to imitate recoil, rather than simply clamp the action in a vise. I was thinking of building something like this that would clamp to a free rifle's rail and allow movement through a base that was mounted on some linear slide bearings but I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Anyway, it would be a great device for our smallbore club members to test ammo and get meaningful results. Anybody have any info? TIA CC
Paul

Post by Paul »

I've been using the ESP machine rest for some times now and I'm extremely satisfied with it: simple design and reasonnable cost. It works much better than the Thune I tried in the past. Hope it helps,

Paul
Attachments
ESP Machine rest.jpg
TWP

Post by TWP »

No pictures available,

But I use an Angie Rest from Newt Engle.

Works great as well.

One of our other coaches just ordered the new version of Bill Earnests rest, it allows you to changes windage with the rest so you don't have to un-clamp the rest or go down range to change targets all the time.
Sven

Post by Sven »

Where can I buy a ESP testing rig?
could not find them in google.....

Sven
Paul

Post by Paul »

Earnest Shooting Products
Trevorton, PA
(570) 797-4872
Sven

Post by Sven »

Found the russian style testing rig at a german website:

http://www.stopper.de/product_info.php/ ... esm-2.html

But the ESP rig looks easier to operate and a better construction.

Sven.
coolcruiser

price?

Post by coolcruiser »

many thanks to all for responding. What is the cost of some of these rests?...particularly the ESP.
TIA
Paul

Post by Paul »

I paid $175US 2 years ago for mine.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Angie rest is $189 available from M.A. Engle 330.477.4309

I've seen, but not used the Earnest rest and I've used the Angie rest quite a bit.

The Angie Rest looks a bit more industrial, but it is very well made and sturdy. The ESP machine rest is more refined looking with better machining, but it also looks like you could screw it up if you weren't careful. (My Angie rest is in a cardboard box in the back of my jeep. I don't worry about it, I wouldn't transport an ESP rest that way.)

At 328 euro that Russian rest is about 3 times the cost either the Angie or ESP rests.
mjguzy

Post by mjguzy »

Just got a catalog from ESP for 2007. The old style rest is $175, with adapters for tapered stocks $50/$75 (you'll have to ask Bill what the differences are in price), and the new rest with lateral adjustments is $225. If you have anything different you need, I'll bet Bill can take care of you since he makes the stuff himself. Great guy to deal with!
Cheers,
mjguzy
Paul

Post by Paul »

mjguzy,

Do you know if the old style rest can be upgraded like the new one with lateral adjustments ?

Paul
mjguzy

Post by mjguzy »

Sorry, I can't tell from the catalog. There is only one picture, and I'm not sure which is pictured, so I can't even make any guesses. Best bet would be to call Bill and talk to him.

mjguzy
TWP

Post by TWP »

Paul wrote:mjguzy,

Do you know if the old style rest can be upgraded like the new one with lateral adjustments ?

Paul
Paul,

Bill had some of the rests at Palmyra. I looked at them and I don't think it would be easy to upgrade, but the way Bill runs a milling machine anything is possible.

One of our other coaches ordered the new rest with the lateral adjustment, but I don't think it has shown up yet.