Shooting between 2 heart beats

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Martin,
Many thanks for a open and candid view on what most of us have encountered sometime in our shooting careers,admittly not at the CWG level. I must admit to a few stray thoughts during prone finals. It is usually when I have suddenly realised that I have been having a good shoot that the "burst" of adrenilan kicks in. The target just doesn't seem to stay still after that. Trying to get control and get the next shot away is somewhat entertaining and very distracting.

And then you suddenly realise that most of the other finalists are probably feeling exactly the same and somehow I settle down and I seem to be able focus on my technique again. Then somehow the tens keep coming.

I have found just concentrating on one thing such as breathing or the foresight helps. It moves your mind from a tentative state of mind to a "if I do this I will get a good shot" state of mind.

Thanks again for the comments, I am sure most of us can identify with them.
Martin H
Old Grouch

Heart Rate

Post by Old Grouch »

A dozen or so years back, Dan Durben and I did a study on heart rate during standing, both smallbore and air rifle. We had a group of about 50 shooters, intermediate to Olympic level, under actual competition conditions. Shooters wore a Polar heart watch, we used an electronic pickup, so mostly non-invasive. Between shots, average heartrate of 105 bpm, +/- 5. In the second prior to the shot, rate dropped about 20 bpm to mid-80's, then back up right after shot. With no relation to shot value, so not much help as a training tool. Most shooters fired the shot on or right before the pulse, without any awareness of it. None of the "between heartbeats" stuff. They just didn't pay attention to it. Tried the same thing with some biathletes. Heart rates well above 150, and no relation to shot and actual heart beat. (some claim otherwise, just isn't so.) Bottom line: Don't worry about it. Get a good position, make sure your equipment is set correctly, and shoot.
Confucious say

Post by Confucious say »

Old Grouch, he a very very smart one. All should listen to his advice. I know him many years, a very valuable contributor to shooting knowledge