Daisy 887

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Daisy 887

Post by Guest »

Anybody used one of these rifles yet? Im considering buying 1, ive been using a daisy 853 for sporter and precision (dont laugh please) i shoot around 245's for 2p and 220's for precision... I know those scores wont get me in any nation compition, but its good enough for Clod Busting Nebraska Compititions... and, 1 more question... any suggestions for practicing in a basement? i got a pellet trap and everything all set up. it just seems like my scores aint improving, but i guess its resonable, havnt spent very much time down there, 50 or so rounds a night... any help is welcome.

Thankyou
Tyler.
tyler_444

Post by tyler_444 »

Sorry, wasnt thinking when i wrote that. thought i was signed in. anyway, any help is welcome.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

I've got an 887 that I've had since the beginning of January. I'm new to air rifle shooting and am far from an expert, but here's what I think.

The 887 comes with a sling and swivel, 3 butt plate spacers, one 2.5 oz cylinder, cylinder wrench, diopter sights, and instruction manual.

It's a high quality rifle. Some of the parts are plastic, but seem well made. The laminated stock is very nicely finished, as well as some very expensive guns. The only thing I don't like is that the gun comes with 3 plastic butt spacers that look cheap and don't fit well. I have to use the spacers. The gun does get 300+ shots from one fill of the 2.5 oz cylinder.

The diopter sights that come with the gun seem to be pretty good quality. Shooting off a cobbled-together bench rest, I was able to zero the rifle within 25-30 shots.

I shoot 11 meters in my basement, and have no problem holding 5-shot groups smaller than a dime from a standing position. I'm shooting off-the-shelf Crosman Precision Wadcutters, 7.9 gram weight. The gun is quiet, and I don't worry about using any hearing protection with it.

As far as training and practice tips, you tell me then we'll both know.
tyler_444

Post by tyler_444 »

Steve N wrote:I've got an 887 that I've had since the beginning of January. I'm new to air rifle shooting and am far from an expert, but here's what I think.

The 887 comes with a sling and swivel, 3 butt plate spacers, one 2.5 oz cylinder, cylinder wrench, diopter sights, and instruction manual.

It's a high quality rifle. Some of the parts are plastic, but seem well made. The laminated stock is very nicely finished, as well as some very expensive guns. The only thing I don't like is that the gun comes with 3 plastic butt spacers that look cheap and don't fit well. I have to use the spacers. The gun does get 300+ shots from one fill of the 2.5 oz cylinder.

The diopter sights that come with the gun seem to be pretty good quality. Shooting off a cobbled-together bench rest, I was able to zero the rifle within 25-30 shots.

I shoot 11 meters in my basement, and have no problem holding 5-shot groups smaller than a dime from a standing position. I'm shooting off-the-shelf Crosman Precision Wadcutters, 7.9 gram weight. The gun is quiet, and I don't worry about using any hearing protection with it.

As far as training and practice tips, you tell me then we'll both know.
Thankyou

I was wondering, about the 300 shots, are they all the same or i guess a better question is when do you start loosing velicity? how many shots are equal.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

We shoot 887's & 888's.

The nice thing about CO2 is that it's sort of "self regulating". As long as there is liquid CO2 in the cylinder the pressure is the same.
Here in New Mexico at ~5000ft altitude, we don't get 300 shots ... my guess is about 200, but that is still plenty for a 3x20 competition

I fill my tanks to a total weight of 475 grams (an empty tank is about 400 grams) and they are useful and POI won't change until the tank is down to about 410-415 grams

I get all my kids onto 888's and 887's as soon as they can handle them.

887's have not been out that long, but here is my $0.02:

I like 888's for a smaller kid and 887's for a bit larger, but that said if I were going to only buy one gun, I'd go for the 887 if only because of the better sights and the higher comb on the stock ... they are the exact same action and barrel.
tyler_444

Post by tyler_444 »

Thankyou for the input.