CM22 standard pistol misfires

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
elliott

CM22 standard pistol misfires

Post by elliott »

I recently purchased a Morini .22 standard pistol. It is very accurate, cleans easily, etc. However, I do have two recurring problems with the pistol. First, despite what looks like a solid pin strike on the rim of the shell, it fails to fire. One time I even rotated the bullet twice to get more pin strikes and it failed to fire. When I put the same bullet in my free pistol, it fired. I use Eley ammo. Second, on enough occasions to be problematic, the pistol fires the bullet but doesn't eject the spent shell. I've had several alibis because of this. I've disassembled the pistol, thoroughly cleaned all the parts, lubricated it carefully and adjusted every part that I could to get the maximum amount of effort from the pistol. I can't believe it is the ammuntion. Do any of the semi auto shooters have any ideas?
Elliott Dushkin
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Unfortunately that's Morini for you, I would check with the Pilk man and see if they have gotten a fix for this problem. Click above under the Banner
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes it could be the ammunition. I suggest you try some others. Some pistols function better with different brands of ammo.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Same possible causes as any other semi-auto target pistol exhibiting the same symptoms. Let's see, could be firing pin face, firing pin broken, weak firing pin spring, too much powder residue built up in the firing pin tunnel, weak main spring causing it not to go back fully into battery, peened up chamber or bolt face, causing it not to go back fully into battery, leaded up chamber causing it not to go fully into battery, weak extractor spring, dull extractor claw, improperly fitted extractor, extractor spring chamberl full of powder residue, bent or broken feed lips on the magazine causing the bullt to enter the chamber off enough that it slows the slide down but not enought to jam, any or all the above combined.

my expereince is that 50% of blow back .22s malfunctions are fixed by a thorough cleaning. this means taking apart every moving thing that can get powder residue in it and making it factory clean and oiled again.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

I had a similar problem with my Benelli. It would work fine with Fiocchi (no surprise), and some other brands, but occasionally fail to extract with others. A close examination of the ammunition, showed that those brands that gave trouble, had a prominent filet at the juncture of the case wall and rim, while the trouble free brands, had a rather sharp angle. Examination of the extractor showed no abnormalities, the gun was fairly new, and the hook sharp.

I surmised that the filet cammed the extractor, causing it to begin to move away from the case wall, and almost immediately reaching the radius at the outer edge of the rim, lose purchase of the case.

Those troublesome cases, due to the combined filet and radius, in fact had little or no area of the rim front, square with the case wall, for the extractor to hold. I installed a heavier extractor spring, which solved the problem.

Paul
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Can you tell me the serial number?
Have you try to increase the firing pin force using the screw on the back?
Can you tell me what kind of eley you use?
Have you try to increase by 1/2 turn the weight of the recoil spring under the barrel?
Thanks.
wolskyr

Morini CM-22 Problem

Post by wolskyr »

I've experienced the same problems and just about went nuts trying to solve them.

Check my web site at http://www.novatech-group.com/hobby.htm (the training log links specifcally) for the whole story.

Cliff notes version - the gun is very sensistive to proper cleaning and lubrication, and the manner in which the magazines are loaded is critical. I've not had a recurrence of the problem in thousands of rounds since working this all out.

-- Rob W.
-- Poconos, PA
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Rob you don't shoot a Morini CM 22M, you shoot a RBA PS600. Why you don't complain to them?
wolskyr

Complain?

Post by wolskyr »

I'm not "complaining" at all, and the gun is functionally identical AFAIK (I use CM-22 magazines and weights that I purchased from our host without any problem). I had similar problems, and thought my reply was helpful.
Matvei

Post by Matvei »

I think Francesco has already answered, but I like to add the comments concerning CM22, as I have some experience. The misfire sounds something like the firing pin is broken. Have you "clicked" the empty gun causing so some damage? As in every rimfire gun the firing pin is smashed against the hard steel edge of the barrel. Should this happen frequently the pin is broken or deformed. The firing spring tension can be increased as Francesco said, and it may solve the problem. I know as I have shot over five years with CM22, the malfunctions are rarities, which should be booked in my diary, and my gun's S/N is well under 100. Use buffer shells when clicking empty gun. This is an advice for anyone with any gun.