change of technique

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nano

change of technique

Post by Nano »

To the forum:

I have make a new regulation in my air pistol trigger. I put 450gr in the firs stage and 60 in the second stage.

With these regulation, I make best scores, but I have to change my technique, because 3 or 4 shoots in each match are missed.

Before modify the trigger, I make a deep air inspiration to the lungs while raised the pistol, when lowering to the line of firing, expired somewhat while tightened the first trigger stage.

Now, I cannot do that because the trigger is so sensible that the shots escape. I have had to change of technique, lowering the weapon to the firing line and just to initiate the first stage.

Question: I must maintain the last technique, adapting to the new trigger? or I must change of technique?

Nano
David Levene

Re: change of technique

Post by David Levene »

Nano wrote:Now, I cannot do that because the trigger is so sensible that the shots escape.
IMHO if you cannot comfortably hold the trigger at the end of the first stage, and you obviously cannot, then you need to increase the weight of the second stage.

It doesn't matter what shooting technique you use, a second stage that you cannot control is a liability.
Nano

Post by Nano »

David:

Thank you, a very precise and right observation.

I cannot hold the trigger at the end of the first stage, while the pistol is in movement, lowering to the fire position, but I can dominate while the pistol is stoped.
Confuses to me the fact that the manufacturers of pistols offer adjustable triggers, more and more fine, like for example Match Guns MG1E, that offers 480 gr. in first stage and 30 gr. in the second.

Nano
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Nano, everybody is built differently. Some can feel extremely light triggers, others cannot. That doesn't make one person a better shooter than another. The difference is how you control the trigger you have got. If you cannot control it then adjust it so you can.

I used to know a Free Pistol shooter who had perfect control over a 15g trigger. On a good day I could just about touch the trigger blade without it going off. Any hope of controlling it was a waste of time.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

David Levene wrote:Nano, everybody is built differently. Some can feel extremely light triggers, others cannot. That doesn't make one person a better shooter than another. The difference is how you control the trigger you have got. If you cannot control it then adjust it so you can.
But if Nano can control the lighter 2nd stage using a different process, then isn't it worthwhile to explore a different process, to see whether there are benefits?

I am trying a much lighter 2nd stage (than usual for me) on a new gun. I use a very light, relaxed grip. I come up, align the sights and take up the first stage below the card, then come up the short distance to my hold point in the 6 ring.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Just because it can be adjusted that low doesn't mean it HAS to be adjusted that low.

Also when did you make the change and how long have you been shooting with it? You may just need to be patient and re-learn the trigger.

That said It boggles my mind that so many think that the lightest trigger is the best.

At a recent large competion I sat at equipment control and probably 30% (or more) had to increase the wieght on their triggers. ( then the other thing was many had no clue as to how to adjust their trigger and didn't have the manual with them).
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I agree with Richard. Good trigger control is far, far more important than actual trigger weight. Be it 501g or a 30g 2nd stage. You should be able to sit on the end of the first stage with comfort and then increase pressure until it breaks. Master good trigger control with a heavy second stage and then you shouldn't need to mess about.

Nano,
I would suggest your score increases are purely because of the 'change effect'. You actually just focus better on technique and doing things right. Give it time and you'll probably settle back to where you were.

Rob.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Richard raises a good point with respect to total trigger weight. Ten grams over the legal limit is NOT enough, and you WILL eventually fail equipment check. I've spent a little time (and the sum total of $5) to build my own trigger test weight. It weighs almost exactly 500 grams (ok, about 500.5 grams). It is designed in such a way that I can slide large steel washers down the rod to increase total weight - each washer weighs between 9 and 10 grams. Before every match I weigh my triggers at home to ensure they will pass. To achieve this goal they MUST be able to lift the 500 gram weight plus two washers, or 518-520 grams. This technique has proven to be foolproof.

As for split between 1'st and 2nd stage weights, my airpistols have about 450 grams on the 1st stage, leaving 70-80 grams on the second stage. Coincidentally my free pistol trigger weight is somewhere around 70-80 grams.

What's important is that I can control this amount of second-stage weight. I use a technique similar to that of Nano, taking up the 1st stage as the front sight moves down through the black of the target. As I settle below the black in a sub-6 hold I hit the end of the 1st stage, and once my hold begins to stabilize I just increase the pressure and 'pop', the shot fires!

Nano - sounds like you would benefit from doing an extensive dry-fire training session to build your confidence with the new trigger setting. Rob Stubbs' comment is worthy of note as well. I have first-hand experience in the matter because when I've had troubles with trigger control in Free Pistol I often find that increasing the trigger weight by 20 grams makes me focus my attention on the trigger. Not because heavier is better, but because it's NEW and I am more conscious of it because it is a new trigger feel.

Just my two cents worth, and likely not worth even that much! ;-)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

WOW the planets must be aligned, I think this is the first topic that I have seen so much agreement on (other than whats the best cheap practice pellet) ;)