WHAT IS BETTER STAINLESS STEEL BARREL OR BLUED

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

1913 BUYER

WHAT IS BETTER STAINLESS STEEL BARREL OR BLUED

Post by 1913 BUYER »

I AM LOOKING AT BUYING A 1913 ANSCHUTZ RIFLE AND WANT THE MOST ACCURATE SET UP.

IS THERE ANT BENEFIT TO BUYING ONE IN STAINLESS STEEL BARREL VICE BLUED / CARBON STEEL?
Lee Sellers

Post by Lee Sellers »

As far as accuracy potential no. The machining will determine the results. A stainless barrel takes a bit less attention to avoid corrosion, but I would imagine you would take proper care of either type of barrel. Some claims are made for longevity in centerfire guns, but they are mostly statistical samples of one ... in other words meaningless. In a smallbore or air rifle there would be no difference.
n1heu

Post by n1heu »

It's been said that a stainless barrel is softer relatively than a non-stainless. If you live in an area where corrosion is a problem on metal, ie the Pacific Northwest then the corrosion resistance may keep your bore from pitting in storage. I see both barrels at matches and it's the shooter more than the barrel making the difference in every case. Most of the High Power shooters I know have installed stainless barrels. About half of the smallbore shooters I know have stainless. I use blued mostly as a nostaglia thing. A stainless barrel, especially a wood stocked gun, looks odd to me. I know this has nothing to do with accuracy, but to me pretty is as pretty does.
Short story is the quality of the machine work is more important rather than the material. All else being equal, the color is why most buy one or the other I feel.
Tom S.

Stainless vs blued

Post by Tom S. »

Depends on where you are getting the barrel from. I hear Anschutz has had trouble making stainless barrels (high scrap rate) and is going to stop producing them. So you are probably better off with a carbon steel barrel from Anschutz. Most of the good American barrel makers (Lilja, Hart, Etc.) use stainless - so you are better off going with stainless if using an American or other after market barrel.