Book advice- Air Rifle Shooting vs Ways of the Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mjguzy

Book advice- Air Rifle Shooting vs Ways of the Rifle

Post by mjguzy »

Hi All,
I see many references to the book "Ways of the Rifle", but not for "Air Rifle Shooting" by the same authors. I'm just curious how much different information AR Shooting has over that in "Ways". Obviously, there will be a fair bit in common, since they are very similar disciplines, but I'm curious to see what you all think - is it worth the money when I already own "ways", and am on a tight budget? Thanks!
Mike
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Books are useful but no where near as useful as finding a coach. I normally find I just pick up a couple of useful tips froma book and not a lot else. I don't know the books you mention other than that they are meant to be good. You could always have a look around the second hand / auction websites - they do crop up.

Rob.
Richard H

Re: Book advice- Air Rifle Shooting vs Ways of the Rifle

Post by Richard H »

mjguzy wrote:Hi All,
I see many references to the book "Ways of the Rifle", but not for "Air Rifle Shooting" by the same authors. I'm just curious how much different information AR Shooting has over that in "Ways". Obviously, there will be a fair bit in common, since they are very similar disciplines, but I'm curious to see what you all think - is it worth the money when I already own "ways", and am on a tight budget? Thanks!
Mike
You don't hear much about the "Air Rifle Shooting " because it is relatively new (in english slightly older in German). I have both (and mainly shoot pistol) and both are very worth while there is lots of different stuff in the Air Rifle Shooting book.
TWP

Post by TWP »

I haven't bought either book yet, but the differences were described to me like this.

Ways of the Rifle is mostly about the technical aspects of the rifle shooting position.

Air rifle covers more about all around training for shooting sports.
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

I have both. I recently purchased "Air Rifle Shooting," so I'm a bit less familiar with that book. That said, "Ways of the Rifle" focuses primarily on the three positions: prone, kneeling, and off-hand. There is some discussion of other aspects, such as ammo testing, stock setup, etc, but this is secondary information.

In "Air Rifle Shooting," the author focuses more on what I would call the finer points of shooting (ie, considerations for the more advanced shooter). There is some discussion of the basic off hand position (and 3p for juniors), but no where near as much detail as in "Ways of the Rifle." I would say ARS is split between outer/inner position, rifle setup and aiming/analysis, and physical and psychological training and advice.

The two books definitely compliment each other, and there is less overlap than you would think. A coach is definitely best (assuming you have a good coach), but you'd be hard-pressed to spend $65 on a coach and get the level of technical knowledge you get from ARS.
mjguzy

Post by mjguzy »

Thanks, everyone! Sounds like it will be worth my while to add another book to the collection. A coach isn't an option at the moment (for several reasons) so I take help where I can get it, and right now that is mostly books.
Cheers,
Mike
mjguzy

Post by mjguzy »

Thanks, everyone! Sounds like it will be worth my while to add another book to the collection. A coach isn't an option at the moment (for several reasons) so I take help where I can get it, and right now that is mostly books.
Cheers,
Mike
peepsight

Books

Post by peepsight »

It may be worth noting that the book Ways of the rifle is quite an old publication in as much that the section on air rifle shooting depicts a lot of older pre compressed (side lever) rifles. Techniques described for shooting and holding these types of weapons which never had stabilizers differs slightly from the advice given in the newer book Air Rifle Shooting.

In this book most air rifles depicted are stored compressed air and with stabilizers. There are subtle changes in technique. Both books will give you some great advice and tips, but i found you needed to be selective when using the advice given from both books. Robb Stubbs is right, the best way is a good coach.

I noticed that some of the advice in ways of the rifle lumped together small bore and air or at least it did not differentiate between the two.
The technique for both is similar but there are subtle differences.

Peepsight
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Have both ... my $0.02 ... get and read "Ways of the Rifle" first, and then "Air Rifle Shooting" ... the second goes into finer detail, but the first has so much good info as well