TAU-7 loading latch problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Waltonshooter

TAU-7 loading latch problem

Post by Waltonshooter »

Hello,
The loading latch on my TAU-7 seems to have stopped working. It will pop up and usually loose the gasket when it is fired. It looks like the latch is an older one and is rounded at the top. Would a new latch plunger fix this? Does anyone else have/had this problem?

Thanks!
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Waltonshooter - I guess I've never seen a newer breech latch as the only ones I've seen have all been round on top. With that having been said, I've also never seen one with enough wear on it to cause problems. I owned a pair of TAU-7's and each had been used in a military training organisation before I purchased them and had many, many thousands of pellets through them. They both required the shooter to pull the latch rearward in order to ensure it was fully engaged.

Also, a very important point to note with respect to the o-ring seals. If you take a toothpick and a little bit of clear silicon RTV sealant, apply a very small amount of RTV to the side of the o-ring that contacts the breech block, then stick it in place and latch the breech closed. As the RTV cures it will effectily glue the seals in place. Because you used the RTV very sparingly you'll be able to pry the seal off later if you need to replace it for some reason. This little trick will save you hours on your hands and knees on the range floor... ;-)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Most Tau-7's have a problem with the latch popping loose unless you simultaneously push down and rearward on the latch knobs when you close it. Just pushing down on the top of the hinged piece won't do it. You should be able to see the "bolt" slide down into the mating hole a small distance.

Two things can make it worse: 1) a new o-ring, which makes it harder to close far enough for the latch to engage well, and 2) it's also possible that the top edge of the hole has become rounded with lots of wear, allowing the latch to pop out more easily. If you PULL the latch down and into the hole, rather than just relying on the internal spring, you should be OK. My wife and I both have Tau-7's and we use them for introductory classes. Losing an O-ring when a student forgets to close them properly is very common. If you can keep an O-ring in place long enough for it to take a bit of a "set", it gets easier to get a good solid lock-up.