New Anti-Doping Rules

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

DHURT wrote:SOME HAVE HIGH MORALS, SOME SPOUT HIGH MORALS, SOME HAVE NO MORALS!
Look, on your keyboard and find the button that says "caps lock" it's there for a reason.

Rob.
2650 Plus

Doping

Post by 2650 Plus »

There is no such thing as a win pill.proper application of fundamentals and intelligent training produce winning scores, Chemistry is a blind alley. Good shooting Bill Horton
AAlex

Post by AAlex »

If there wasn't a "win pill" there wouldn't be a need in a banned substance list.

Many substances affect body chemistry, physical and/or mental state in one way or the other. So naturally some of those will produce changes that are beneficial for performance.

Speaking of which, some respected shooters from the other part of the world suspect that the dramatic increase in the number of high-performing shooters in China, as well as the results on the international arena are more likely attributed to the advancements in pharmaceutics rather than a breakthrough in training methods. By the next olympics they'll be in shape to win more than one medal in every event. Thoughts on that anyone?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

AAlex wrote:Speaking of which, some respected shooters from the other part of the world suspect that the dramatic increase in the number of high-performing shooters in China, as well as the results on the international arena are more likely attributed to the advancements in pharmaceutics rather than a breakthrough in training methods. By the next olympics they'll be in shape to win more than one medal in every event. Thoughts on that anyone?
There is always the possibility of drugs involvement in any sport, and it makes a convenient excuse when you are being beaten.

Without any proof of cheating though, the success of Chinese shooters is more likely to be the result of earlier (younger) selection, a more dedicated and professional training regime and a greater incentive to succeed.

Australia threw lots of money at sport in an attempt to win medals in Sydney. The UK is doing the same thing in the run-up to London 2012. I am not sure but would imagine that Greece also increased funding in the run-up to Athens. I cannot believe that China will be holding back. They will be in the spotlight and will want to compete for every medal. Spend enough money and get enough people involved and you dramatically increase your chances of producing champions.

It's still easier for others to suggest the misuse of drugs than to accept the Chinese may just be doing a better job of preparing their athletes.

I am not saying that they are definately not using drugs, but have seen no evidence (or even hint) of largescale use. Show me evidence and I will condemn the cheats: give me unfounded rumours and I will condemn the people spreading them.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

AAlex wrote: By the next olympics they'll be in shape to win more than one medal in every event. Thoughts on that anyone?
back in 1990 when in China, I was proudly told that they were trawling all the schools to identify potential Olympic candidates. That talent ID is coming to fruition.

Spencer
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Having 1.3 BILLION people to choose from may have a great deal to do with it. U.S has about one fourth that amount, and no European country has 10% that number.
2650 Plus

Reference win pills

Post by 2650 Plus »

I don't recall ever having much difficulty beating a cheater. Almost every one of them beat themselves. The best result was that most learned that they first had to beat themselves. That required them to train properly and develope their techmique, and practice enough to stabilize their match performance. As a result I saw many one year cheaters that never tried to cheat again. I do recall two or three that never learned this valuable lesson, were caught and banned from further participation in our sport. The lession I learned was that I had to stabilize my technique through training , then practice prior to competition further stabilizing how I intended to win the match. If I ate the wrong thing, even took an asperin for a headache things changed just enough to mess up my performance. What ever you do do it the same way through out training, Practice and competition. If you find a pill that you have to take every day for some maladyTrain with it ,practice with it and shoot competition with it. If it is illegal take up chess. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Pat McCoy wrote:Having 1.3 BILLION people to choose from may have a great deal to do with it. U.S has about one fourth that amount, and no European country has 10% that number.
If it has just to do with numbers then why are the Europeans at the top with the Asians? Having a big talent pool helps but I don't think the answer is as simple as that.

In NA we have no real developement systems, very little to no access to high quality coaching, too many competing interests and a lack of resources. In Germany every little town has a range, most have a few (many have electronic targets). Shooting is almost like bowling was in its hay day when there were many bowling alleys in every city. Shooting in Germany is part of the social culture, they have a solid development system (and access to quality coaching).

I haven't been to Asia so I can speak about what they have or don't. I do know that some of the countries have identified shooting (particularliy air events) as a sport which is affordable to get to the top.