LP 10 Velocity adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike S-J

LP 10 Velocity adjustment

Post by Mike S-J »

Hi guys.

This topic is effectively following on from a thread started almost a year ago (http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=60532).

My LP 10 started producing very raggedy holes, so I chased up the link above, bought a chronometer and chronyed the pistol at 420fps with 0.52g pellets.

Problem discovered.

So I followed the pearls of wisdom in the linked thread - or at least tried to.
Two departures from what I expected in that thread. First, the grub nut (#10) seems to hold a threaded collar (#21) in place, rather than the screw (#20). The collar has a slit on it's face: should that have a specific orientation (the exploded diagram shows it at the 6 o'clock position)?
Second, if I screw in screw #20 a little I end up not being able to cock the pistol. that doesn't seem right to me.

For fear of doing some damage I have reassembled the whole thing with a slight modification of the screw position - I now get 459fps out of it.

Any advice on these issues?

Finally, <499fps is legal in the UK - I assume therfore that all airpistols are tuned to sub 499 on these shores. Given that posters on the linked thread are talking about 525 fps I wonder (a) whether this is achievable or (b) desirable.

What implications does that have for the 2012 Olympics, given that 500fps + pistols will be brought into the UK?
David Levene

Re: LP 10 Velocity adjustment

Post by David Levene »

Mike S-J wrote:Finally, <499fps is legal in the UK
I am not sure where you got that idea from. The actual limit for air pistols is 6 ft lbs. From memory that works out, with normal pellets, at well over 500fps.
Mike S-J

Post by Mike S-J »

My chronometer (cb-625) is hard-wired with that setting. The manufacturer is probably erring on the side of caution then.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Isn't 500fps the limit for Cananda?

Have you tried putting the correct pellet weight into your Combro?

Post by Guest »

yeah - its all correctly set up. At 499 it reads "legal" at 500 it switches to "FAC".

It does that regardless of the pellet weight, so I guess they are being over-cautious.

Any advice on the adjustment screws?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:yeah - its all correctly set up. At 499 it reads "legal" at 500 it switches to "FAC".

It does that regardless of the pellet weight, so I guess they are being over-cautious.
If you have reduced the pellet weight from the default 15 grain down to the more realistic 7-8 grain and also adjusted the "legal limit" setting to 6 ft lbs, and it is still changing to FAC at 500fps then I would suggest it's faulty.

Try ring the extremely helpful guys at Combro.