Reaching out with air?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Me

Reaching out with air?

Post by Me »

I know that 10m guys price themselves on never missing the head of a pin (which is quite good if you ask me) but... ever consider trying those same guns at 20, 30, 40, 50m? I dunno how you'd do at FIFTY but at 30 you should be keeping enough right?. I'm new to the airgun thing, my shooting sports hardly ever happens at less than 100 yards, but I love reading here.
peepsight

Reaching out

Post by peepsight »

Hi Me

The simple answer is no, a 10m match air rifle is designed to be a one hole group rifle at 10m. This is achieved by a very critical formula.

Barrel length, number of rifling twists for that length, pellet design, I.E aspect ratio, weight and size, pellet velocity whilst in the barrel and a degree of 'choke' at the muzzle.

For greater distances as you mentioned, this whole formula will have to change. The field target air rifles have higher power and different barrel lengths/rifling twists per length. Recent posts have covered this subject.
Have a read and see what was said.

Peepsight
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

My Steyr LG100 was modified with higher pressure from the regulator and more valve volume but is otherwise a standard 10M gun with the original barrel. It shoots very competitively in field target -- the only limitation I have seen is that if I shoot much faster than 900fps the accuracy is horrid. If I keep the pellet speed below 900fps, excellent accuracy. A longer barrel would provide more efficiency (shots per charge) but not much else.

Best,

Joe