Optimum practice time?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

robf

Optimum practice time?

Post by robf »

any opinions on if there is an optimum practice time for 10m air rifle?

i'm finding that after a warm-up card i can shoot a few good cards, perhaps 7 at 45-47, where i might have a little peak where i do 47-48, then i start to fall away and can go down to 40-42 as my concentration wanes... i can pick it up again, but i'm definately fresher at the start of the evening and it comes easier then.

i perhaps shoot 20 cards over a couple of hours, with breaks for nattering and tabs in between...

what im wondering is if i should be putting effort into raising my peak performance for a short bit of consistancy and higher average over 6 cards or trying to shoot better for longer trying to get a longer bit of consistancy over 10 cards.

i'm competiting in a postal league, so at the moment thats just 6 targets a week...my last comps average was 242, but with a new gun i'm finding in practice the average is more like 260-70...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

If you want to shoot well international style, then you need to be able to shoot 60 shots plus sighters in 105 mins. I would advise building up stamina so that's acheiveable and not tiring but don't be tempted to shoot, for example 100+ shots each session. You need to mix in stamina building with technique perfecting training. I shoot pistol but I generally try and do 1 longer session per week and the rest I focus on technique development. Oh don't forgot the other cardiovascular exercise in between times.

Rob.
robf

Post by robf »

Thanks rob...something to aim for.

Cheers :)
MSNations

Post by MSNations »

Rob made some good points.

Additionaly, I'd make sure that you don't lose sight of efficient, effective practice in your search for endurance. Run drills. Simulate match conditions.

Long practice sessions can lead to bad habits if you are not disciplined enough. Take care to maintain your mental game as it is degraded over time just like your physical position and is so critical to maintaining focus over such a long time. So many shots can make individual shots seem less significant. One shot at a time. Stay in the present.