Left v. Right

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WaltherWill

Left v. Right

Post by WaltherWill »

Okay, I'm rebuilding my standing position now, throwing out all my bad habits and starting over. One thing in particular that i'm going to do while rebuilding is try other shooters techniques pertaining to different areas of the position. Which brings me to my point.
In looking at photos of some really good international shooters, I find they use their support hand to load their rifles, leaving the pistol grip hand on the rifle so as not to disturb this contact. My problem with this idea is this...
How do they load their rifles with their left hand (right for lefties), when the cocking mechanism is on the opposing side of the rifle?
I have always loaded my rifle with my right hand so any former experience with this technique or advice would be helpful.
peepsight

Which hand for loading

Post by peepsight »

Hi

A lot of shooters use a fingerless shooting glove which leaves the fingers free to cock/load the rifle.

Most of the glove manufacturers make fingerless models in most sizes and left or right handed.
supperdog2

Post by supperdog2 »

Hi, I'm use ANS 2002 Super Air for most of my shooting and I have no problem cocked it with my left hand. As Peepsight said, I do use fingerless glove otherwise it will be very hard to put pllet into place.
After I find my NPA, I will put my rifle on the stand which is about two inch front of my left foot and eight inch to my right. I try to keep my body in the same position as long as possible, even while I cock my rifle. Good thing about ANS 2002 is the loading hatch open automaticlly. Then, I pick up a pellt form the pellt tray( which is attched to the rifle stand) load the gun.
The new ANS air rifles, such as 8002 and 9003 the cock lever can be swiched from left to right or right ti left with ease.
Hope this can be any help.
Supperdog
n1heu

Post by n1heu »

I am a right handed shooter that is right eye dominant and a left hand writer. I shoot an Anschutz 1413 action in an 1813 stock with a butt hook, no riser block, no palm rest. I use a fingerless glove.
In offhand loading I use my trigger finger to lift the bolt up and back, then use my left hand to load the cartridge, my left thumb to push the bolt closed from the rear and my left index finger to lock the bolt down. I then rest my left (support) hand by my side or on top of the rifle. I use an offhand stand with the cartridge box mounted to the left of center.
In kneeling I set the stand beside and behind me to place the box (still mounted left of center as above, just lower) under my right arm around wrist area, I then use my right hand to load and lock.
In prone I place the box forward and beside me to reach over and down with my right hand.
In both prone and kneeling I generally don't dismount the rifle to load every shot, but I do break every time I have a horizontal npa shift both for movement and to rest. In offhand I reseat the butt into my shoulder with a sweeping lift and reset my trigger hand grip. I support the rifle offhand with a closed fist hold, palm directly towards me.

mike