NRA Rifle Rule Book

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Gaffer

NRA Rifle Rule Book

Post by Gaffer »

NRA Junior Rifle Rule 3.2-- Can some one give me a good definition of what they call a Schutzen Butt Hook and Palm Rest? How about what some call a riser?
Can a junior use a hooked butt plate in Off Hand? Can a junior use a palm rest that is fastened to the foreend rail for Off Hand?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

More info ... Air or Smallbore???
Gaffer

Post by Gaffer »

It is Smallbore .22RF. but I guess I got the answer from a coach from the Colorado training center. He says that the only difference in the rules is that kids have to use iron sights and some adult matches allow or call for scopes.
I was concerned as the NRA SB Rule book 3.2 seemed to indicate that thumbhole stocks, hooked butt plates and palm rests were not allowed for juniors.

Thanks!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Again ... it can depend on the type of rifle.
(any, sporter, hunting) I don't have my books with me at work.

Are you looking at position, international or silhouette shooting.

In position my daughter shoots a 1912 (thumbhole, hook & palmrest), in the silhouette class she shoots in they are not allowed so she shoots a different gun.

Are you a 4-H, Scouts, JROTC affiliated? 4-H changed the national rules/gun types a bit this year
WaltherWill

Can't Find It

Post by WaltherWill »

Well, i can't find my rule book at the moment but i do know that when shooting smallbore under NRA rules as a junior , palm rest, butt hook, and thumbhole stocks are prohibited. As a collegiate shooter you are not considered junior in this instance nor if you are shooting on an open team ( if you have any adults on the team.)
When i find my rulebook, I 'll give the exact quotes for these rules.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

They are not legal if the match is operating under the "Junior Rifle" rule 3.4.

4-H and the NRA 3-P sectionals operate under the 3.2 "Any Rifle" rule, in which case they are. Last year 4-H operated under the "Light Rifle" rule 3.3.
Gaffer

Post by Gaffer »

This would be a NRA Junior 4 Position Sectional. The match bulletin called for 10 shots in each of the 4 positions with A-17 targets at 50'. It seems as if there are some doifferences of opinion as to what NRA rule book is to be used as the match only said," NRA rules will govern, rifle rule 3.2."

I am not trying to cause an argument, only trying to discern what you should tell a junior to prepare for in the way of rifle and equipment. In fact the match has already occurred this past weekend and rifles with thumbholes, hooked butt plates and palm rests were allowed.

It appears that it is a confusing issue and some coaches were puzzled.

Thanks for the replies however. I will do some more looking into with the NRA.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

4-Position Sectionals under Rule 3.2 do indeed allow this equipment.
You were OK.

The Blue 2007 Junior Sectional program calls out Rule 3.2 for both 3 & 4 position

If it was a match that called out rule 3.4 then no. (Say a local approved or registered match)

Really all that should have been necessary to end the confusion was the match program supplied by the NRA to the sponsor (enough should have been sent for all competitors), and the Smallbore Rifle Rulebook (CR16750 ... most current version of course)

===============================================
I know it's kind of a pain in that the NRA does not have the rules in PDF format to download. And I'm also a cheap SOB and don't like to spend the $2.50 for the rulebook, but I encourage every shooter (oh, OK ... every coach too) to have the current rulebook for the match in their possession.

BTW ... that's why I go to the coach conferences ... to get the rulebooks for free ... ;-)

Also I hate these rulebooks as I've got to put glasses on to read the small print ... NRA .... please ..... PDF's
===============================================