Daisy 888 and 747 problems

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Turbo Daggit

Daisy 888 and 747 problems

Post by Turbo Daggit »

I have numerous 888 and 747's in our 4-H Shooting program. I have one of each that is leaking by at the breach.
Does anyone have the information on how to fix these?
What seals are needed?
Can I buy them at the hardware store or do I need to go to daisy?
and last question Is it easier to send them back or fix it myself?
OK that wasn't the last one Does anyone have any tips on how to make both guns better for competition tips tricks etc.

Thanks
Coach Chris Moore
Roanoke, VA
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I don't know if this mod is legal for your 4H comps.

On my 747, I put a small square of plastic "non-skid" from Ace Hardware on the bottom half of the backstrap. The added friction keeps the slippery plastic grip from sliding in my hand. If this mod is not legal the alternative is to stipple/grove the backstrap to increase the friction.

The other mod I made is to widen the rear sight notch. As is, it was a little too narrow for me. I recommend getting a spare sight from Pilkingtons first...just in case you damage the sight. You need a very fine sharp file to cut the plastic. I think I used a diamond finger nail file. Take it VERY SLOW so you don't make it too wide. I have another AP that I have to replace the rear sight, I made it too wide.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

If the 888 is leaking all the time and not just when it's being fired then the valve is leaking and it should go to Daisy. On the 853/753 you can replace the valve but the 888/887 has a pin on the CO2 adapter that prevents if from accidently being unscrewed during cylinder removal. Unfortunately, this prevents access to the valve I haven't found a practical way to get the pin out.

On the 888 trigger you can install a longer adjustment screw. You can also "tweak" the trigger springs in side the action. It's not hard if you are mechanically inclined. I think there's info on it on our hosts website. You'll need a trigger gauge and trim the springs a little at a time. Each time you put it together you'll have to readjust the trigger screw. Sporter rules require a 1.5# minimum trigger pull.
jhmartin

RE: 888 leakage

Post by jhmartin »

Sometimes when an o-ring on the tank tears, or if some debris is knocked into the adapter (between the gun & the cylinder), we have seen that this holds the valve open.

Sometimes a lot sometimes just a tiny leak.

We can fix this usually by taking the action out of the stock and looking at the adapter ... and wiping it a bit.

We take a few drops of the beeman "metaliphobic" lubricant and drip them directly into the adapter and cock and fire the action about 10-15 times (no cylinder in the gun here). We use this very low viscosity oil ... almost like water, to "flood" the particle off of the seal.

Put a few more drops .... cycle a few times, and then install a cylinder, and cycle with CO2 ... watch out, quit a bit of lubricant will shoot out. (I guess to be complete I should state, "no pellets here".....)

About 50-60% of the time this fixes the issue ... dryfire (no pellet, but gas) about 25-30 times to clear out much of the lube ... if you have some cleaning felts, shoot about 5-6 thru. It will take about 100-120 shots with pellets to get the barrel shooting consistent again.

If this does not work ... yup, back to Daisy

I've never had this with my 747, but I've seen numerous places on the web where there are tear down instructions for this pistol
fredbaker

Re: Daisy 888 and 747 problems

Post by fredbaker »

Turbo Daggit wrote:I have numerous 888 and 747's in our 4-H Shooting program. I have one of each that is leaking by at the breach.
Does anyone have the information on how to fix these?
What seals are needed?
Can I buy them at the hardware store or do I need to go to daisy?
and last question Is it easier to send them back or fix it myself?
OK that wasn't the last one Does anyone have any tips on how to make both guns better for competition tips tricks etc.

Thanks
Coach Chris Moore
Roanoke, VA